THYROID ISSUES - How to evaluate and - How to Increase Th1
Date: 5/29/2005 9:20:57 AM ( 8 y ) ... viewed 6459 times
How to evaluate the state of your thyroid (feeling cold might be due to the tyroid or... to a lack of protein in your diet)
In many cases of poor thyroid function a cold feeling is not quite so obvious. Dr. Broda Barnes pioneered the use of the basal temperature test to help identify sluggish thyroid function. This is done by placing a thermometer (not digital) under your arm for ten minutes before getting out of bed. This should be done ten days in a row, averaging the daily reading. Menstruating women should start their ten day test when their menstrual cycle begins, as basal temperature naturally rises 2 degrees at ovulation. If your waking temperature averages from 97.8 to 98.2 degrees it is normal. Less than 97.8 reflects sluggish thyroid function. (less than 36.5 celsius/ between 36.5-36.7 = normal)
Here is a post on the topic: http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1446516#i
How to Increase Th1
This is taken from Mark Konlee's excellent site (www.keephope.net). At the bottom there is a link to the full article.
Things which improve cell-mediated immunity (TH1):
1. Omega-3 fatty acids (DHA & EPA) found in cold water fish, salmon, sardine and cod liver oil (improves DTH, lowers triglycerides, TNF and IL-6) - helps prevent heart disease and cancer. Flaxseed also contains some omega-3 fatty acids.
2. Monounsaturated fats found in olive and hazelnut oils (reduces TNF and increases IgA - supports mucosal immunity). Adult therapeutic dose: 4 tablespoons daily.
3. Vitamin A (increases transport of IGA - supports mucosal immunity) . Cod liver oil 2 tbsp daily.
4. L-Glutamine - support structure of mucus membranes, mucosal immunity and Glutathione levels
5. Silica - reduces IgG and improves NK function.
6. Digestive enzymes - improves digestion and assimilation of proteins and other nutrients, reduces circulating immune complexes that cause antibody and autoantibody formation. Protein digestive enzymes are found naturally in fresh ginger root, raw pineapple and kiwi fruit. (quality proteins support mucus membrane integrity). Additional factors that support digestion are:
a. Cayenne - 1 or 2 capsules taken before meals stimulates hunger and digestive enzymes. (support digestion of nutrients for mucosal membrane integrity)
b. Lemon juice or apple cider vinegar - taken with meals stimulates hydrochloric acid for protein digestion. (support digestion of nutrients for mucosal membrane integrity). Vinegar, any type, kills HIV and may other pathogens.
c. B vitamins - several kinds are needed to support hydrochloric acid production that is needed for protein digestion. B6 is very important for CMI.
d. Magnesium - needed by pancreas to produce pancreatin - used to digest proteins.
7. Friendly intestinal flora
a. Lactobacillus Plantarum and L casei - potent inducers of IL-12 and IFN-gamma. Supports mucosal immunity.
b. Bifidobacterium longum - increases IgA - supports mucosal immunity - reduces candida albicans - improves lactose tolerance.
c. Acidophilus - promotes resistance to colonization of candida albicans.
8. Ginseng (Red Korean or concentrated Siberian Ginseng extract) - increases IL-2, IFN-gamma and NK function.
9. Chlorella- broken cell wall - use liquid, granules or capsules only - not tablets with binders. Increases IL-12, GM-CSF and activates macrophages. Note: Spirulina and some other sea vegetables may have similar benefits - data lacking.
10. L-Thyroxine (T4) a thyroid hormone that is a potent inducer of IFN-gamma. Sources: Am J Physiol 1997 Oct;273(4 Pt 1):C125-32 and J Immunol 1998 Jul 15;161(2):843-9
11. Soil Based Organisms (SBO’s) (bacillus subtilis and lichenformis) - produce surfactin that inactivates lipid envelope viruses (HIV, CMV, herpes etc), kills mycoplasmas and many bacteria and candida albicans. By reducing candida albicans, SBO’s reduce Th2 cytokines.
12. Garlic - raw or aged extract - promotes NK function and IL-2. Raw garlic kills HIV, many kinds of fungus and bacteria including MAC.
13. L-Glutathione - promotes antigen presentation and stimulates CD8 CTL’s. An antioxidant, it neutralizes free radicals. Alpha Lipoic acid, selenium, NAC, cold processed whey proteins, certified raw milk and L-glutamine support increased Glutathione levels.
14. DHEA or AED (androstendiol). - increases IL-2, IFN-gamma and decreases IL-6 and 10.p 15. Acupuncture (points ST36, LI11 and RN6) increase IL-2, IFN-gamma and NK function.
16. UVA light - promotes IL-12.
17. Vitamin E - increases IL-2, NK function and IFN-gamma. Reduces NF-kappa B.
18. Transfer factor (antigen specific) - protein immuno-modulators extracted from colostrum from immunologically stimulated animals that promotes DTH and specific immunity to certain antigens (viruses etc.).
19. Colostrum - contains IgA - promotes mucosal immunity and immunity to specific antigens to which the animal was exposed.
20. Naltrexone - promotes NK function and resistance to candida albicans, thus reducing Th2 cytokines.
21. IP6 - found in brown rice and corn - promotes NK function.
22. NK911 - a transfer factor that stimulates NK function.
23. Lentinian and certain other mushrooms - promote Th1 cytokines and NK function.
24. Thy-Mate and thymic factors (Bio-Pro thymic Protein A) - increases IL-2 and T cell counts.
25. DNCB - promotes DTH and CD8 CTL activity
26. Licorice root and Dong Quai - reduces antibody production.p 27. Beta 1, 3 glucan - found in the common yeast and in oats and oat sprouts/rye sprouts - stimulates macrophage and neutrophil function. Note: may also spike IL-6 levels indicating a cross-regulatory role.
28. Noni -Tahitian - 2 tablespoons twice daily - promotes NK function and immunity against cancer.
29. Neem - promotes IFN-gamma and increases CD8s - also, a powerful antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial herb.
30. Gingko Biloba - reduces cortisol production that suppresses Th1 cytokines.
31. Exercise - aerobic - light and fun. Walking, gardening, dancing, sports. increases endorphin levels - improves NK function - removes toxins from body.
32. Water- Drink 8 to 12 glasses daily - removes toxins - reduces stress on adrenals, liver and kidneys.
33. Positive attitude and prayer. - ability to forgive, compassionate, willingness to help others. Long term goals, not just daily and a will to live. Reduces stress on the adrenal glands.
Note: This list is not complete. A further search of the scientific literature may result in further additions.
Add This Entry To Your CureZone Favorites!