CureZone   Log On   Join

The Sign of Jonah by boldyloxx ..... Christianity (Enlightened) Support

Date:   9/10/2007 8:36:49 PM ( 17 y ago)
Hits:   2,264
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=961371

There are many similarities between Jonah's ministry and Jesus's--that it is not cooincidence- but indicates something prophetic going on with Jonah, even though he was an ordinary man with the same faults you and I have.

As Jonah was to, "point blank" lay the facts out to the people in Ninevah-- telling it like it is to them, Jesus also did not spare the pharisees and scribes around Him. When the Father wanted them corrected, He , out of Love, corrected them.

The difference between Jonah and Jesus was that Jonah didnt' do his job out of feeling of Divine love and concern for the people- but more out of a sense of doing what was required of him.

In Matthew 40:41, we read Jesus telling the religious Intelligencia of that time: "The men of Ninevah will arise at the Judgement with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah and , behold, Something greater than Jonah is here!" It was like He was saying to these people, "Look-- Wake up and see what you have before you lose it!

In Jonah chapter 1: 11-12, the men on the ship asked Jonah what they must do for the sea to quiet down. (This reminds me of a later time with Jesus asleep on the fishing boat in the midst of a stormy sea-- while the disciples were all stressed out from the heavy waves and storm around them.)

Jonah answered them, "Take me up and throw me into the Sea, then the Sea will quiet down for you: for I know it is because of me that this great tempest is upon you."
s
The men wouldn't throw him in at first-- looking for an alternative solutions, nothing would work, so out of desperation, they saw no other choice but to listen to Jonah and toss him in--hoping that God would spare Jonah somehow, while also saving them in their ship. "We beseech You, Oh Lord, let us not perish for this man's life and lay not on us innocent blood; for You, Oh Lord, have done as it pleased you".

Reluctantly- and with a degree of human fear mixed with alot of guilt, they threw him in. The fact that Jonah didnt fight them, and went willingly eased their emotions somewhat, but they really didnt' want to be in the position they were in at that moment.

As soon as Jonah fell into the water, God calmed the turbulence-- thus confirming what Jonah said to them. God's power convicted them and they soon afterwards offered a sacrifice and made vows to Jonah's God. This event became a turning point for them in thier relationship with God-- and it was because of Jonah's sacrifice that brought this about-- a foretaste and prophecy of Jesus' later sacrifice for mankind and the entire Universe/Universes.

We see another prophetic situation pointing to Jesus Christ in the life of Jonah.

Soon after he was tossed into the Sea , saving the lives of the sailors, he ended up in the belly of a whale. Centuries later, Jesus also died for three days and nights before the Holy Spirit ressurrected Him.

The sea mammal that had swallowed Jonah managed to vomit Jonah out of his digestive tract while the poor sea mammal beached itself near the shoreline of Ninevah. Choking and covered in digestive juices and slime, Ninevah swam the rest of the way to shore, and fell exhausted on the beach area.

What a sight to behold he must have been! His skin parched , his body dehydrated- he followed through with his mission to warn the Ninevites of what danger they were placing themselves in if they did not turn back to God.

One word of note. The Ninevites were NOT pagans, they already believed in the One True God. Somehow, they were priviledged to have this enlightenment when most of the World was still in the dark about Who God is-- many cultures were still worshipping objects at this point. This was why Judgment was being brought against them, because the Ninevites were not faithful to the Light they had received by God.

Jonah's mission was one of Mercy to these people. Judgement is not a negative thing to label and brand a person-- it is a way and mean's God uses to make us WAKE UP! and turn us in the right direction before we fall off the cliff to our ruins. Jonah needed to learn this, and later he did.

When the people saw Jonah-- all dehydrated , with a ghostly pallor , -- and realizing what he had gone through just to reach them-- they became convicted in their hearts and turned back to God. This is the case with Jesus as well. Those who observed Jesus, noticed his walk, His voice, gestures, countenance--His very being brought such reality to them that many sincere people became convicted and wanted to hear more of what He had to say to them.

They turned back to God and none of the warnings of what the devil had in store for them if they left God ended up taking place after all- because they turned back to God, like a brood of chicks scurrying back to the mother Hen who loves them-- God was relieved that they chose to accept Jonah's message.

Jonah felt rather irritated at this. He wondered why God was making him look like a fool and not bringing about any fire and brimstone as his prophecy indicated. God had to gently teach Jonah that being a prophet is not only about yielding the Sword of Truth to cut and divide, but it is also about Divine mercy and Love for the ones you are led by God to correct. God is all about mercy-and if anyone really wants Christ to forgive them, do you think Christ is going to turn His back on them, even if they are the worst hardened murderer? No, He will go right to that person and scoop him up from Hell.

Jonah eventually learned this-- Mercy. And centuries later, Jesus -- a Greater One than Jonah walked amongst men, and lived Mercy to everyone on a daily basis-- culminating on the cross, and up until this day.

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.02 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=961371