CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: B Complex for Agoraphobia by ways_of_wisdom ..... Sleep Disorders Forum

Date:   6/27/2007 4:41:56 AM ( 17 y ago)
Hits:   24,116
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=907393

Well, if you have an underlying psychological reason then, yes, supplements can only do so much BUT I know they do help, I believe iodine and DHEA have helped with my moods.  However, an adjustment of attitude is the most important part.

Perhaps I cannot offer any real comfort, especially not knowing what's behind your depression but I am certainly no stranger to depression myself, for most of my life I've been quite prone to it.  Any "crisis" or traumatic event will throw me "over the edge" and in the past it would get pretty bad so I needed professional help in several occasions.  The consequences for me were to often live on "survival mode" and that sometimes I wasn't clear-minded enough to make the best decisions for my life which, ironically, sort of insured that I'd have reasons to continue to feel depressed in the future.  However, in my case there were physical contributors that probably date back to my early childhood as I had parasites on different occasions and some malnutrition as a consequence.    After I had my 2nd child (over 20 years ago...) I discovered I had hypoglycemia and that explained my poor reaction to stressful events; at first adjusting my diet helped some but as a single mother of two living away from my family and old friends, with a small income to boot, I didn't lack for stress so my life turned into a vicious cycle.  Then in recent years I've gone through a 2nd divorce, 2 hurricanes, lost several loved ones (including my Dad in '05) and last year my mother, who had a mastectomy in '04, discovered a new tumor under the scar and tests showed she had extensive metastasis.   She decided to submit to traditional cancer treatments, which I don't believe in, so that has been a source of ongoing concern and even grief for me.  Honestly, it has seemed to me that each time I was recovering from something a new blow would knock me over.

The good part is that there is always HOPE and I tried to take advantage of all the resources available to keep mine alive.  I'd stopped going to church a couple of years ago so I've had to deal with my spiritual life on my own.  I've read some good books, visited encouraging websites, started doing affirmations (even found this neat program that flashes them on my PC screen), sometimes do guided meditation with the help of some CDs, and I pray every day.   However, at one point that wasn't helping anymore, only a few months ago I was feeling extremely anxious over an impending negative change in my financial situation, it got so bad I had no peace night or day and finally I decided to make an appointment with the local mental health office here even though I didn't think they could really help me as I have no faith in a/d anymore (my body apparently rebelled against them so I wouldn't take them...).  Sure enough, the long wait proved to be a waste of time because all they had to offer me was a SSRI (or a "cocktail" when I mentioned those won't let me sleep) so I had no choice but to turn to my old faith in God which I had neglected.  I was reminded of the fact that there are times when the solution to our problems is not really in our hands and we must depend completely on the ONE who has a solution for everything.  I realized that God had provided for me and my children through the years through various means so I had no real reason to believe that this time I was really headed for disaster... except if I believed that and began to panic.  I decided I had to put myself completely in God's hands and trust Him completely one more time because there was really nothing I could do, for years I'd been trying to prepare for my "deadline" and I'd accomplished nothing so maybe it wasn't really up to me.  Such a decision had the "magical" effect of making my anxiety banish, at first my mind tried to make me worry but I just prayed and did some affirmations and each day just did what I could (which includes taking iodine, which I believe has improved my mood) and God responded as He always does.  A couple of weeks ago I got a nice check I was not expecting (but also not too surprised to get given how faith works...); this money "buys" me more time so I can get better and be able to do some actual work.

So, whatever your circumstances are and even if you can't believe exactly like I do, if you have faith and express gratitude for what you do have things will begin to improve because whatever we focus our attention on grows.  Don't worry about why you're sleeping better but just give thanks that you are, at least your mind and body can rest during those hours, can you imagine how you would feel if you couldn't get any rest?  Sleeplessness can certainly make one crazy so at the very least your brain is protecting itself.

I have just said a little prayer in your behalf so I hope you can feel some peace, take care!

W-o-W

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.02 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=907393