CureZone   Log On   Join

Similar experience =( by SadPandaBear ..... Animals & Pets Health Support

Date:   7/5/2006 11:58:57 AM ( 18 y ago)
Hits:   18,000
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=75978

My cat was having similar symptoms to what you describe, but he is also morbidly obese, which is my fault and I feel terrible about it. He became more sluggish recently and began to eat less. He also had a chronic ear infection which often caused him to shake his head or put his ears down flat. The infection was treated at least 4 times but never really seemed to go away.

He also developed stinky breath which I think indicated kidney or heart failure of some kind. When a cat has kidney failure, he is constantly dehydrated. My cat would not eat or drink at all and was breathing rapidly. I noticed it yesterday afternoon, shortly before coming here and seeing your post. Of course all the vet offices were closed due to the holiday so I decided to take him in first thing this morning.

He didn't make it through the night. I woke at 3:30 am to the sound of him coughing and breathing rapidly, and then to my horror he had what appeared to be a heart attack and collapsed.

Listen to your vet's advice, and try to prolong his quality of life as best you can, but if the kidney failure does not improve quickly and he appears to still be dehydrated, take it from me, PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE RISK THAT YOUR CAT WILL DIE NATURALLY.

I watched my cat die, and although it was over fairly quickly, I know in my heart that he was terrified and in great pain. I could have given my pet a peaceful death if only I had not hesitated over the decision to bring him to a 24 hr clinic and have him put down. The sight of him suffering and dying will stay with me always, and I don't think I'll ever outlive the guilt of knowing that I failed to spare him an agonizing death.

So please, ask your vet to be blunt with you about the cat's outlook. If things are as bad as I suspect, ask him what would be a "safe" period of time for you to bring him home and have some last days or hours with your pet before bringing him in to be put down. I know that it is natural to feel guilt after having a pet put down, as if you made the decision too soon and cut his life short, but please believe that this is far outweighed by the fear and pain your pet will suffer, and the guilt you will experience, if you let nature take its course.

I cannot stop crying as I write this, and I desperately hope that my post helps prevent some suffering for both you and your cat. But, you must take heart that you gave him a better life than he could have had out on the street without anyone to feed him and care for him.

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.01 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=75978