CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: sutras by ff. ..... Yoga Support Forum

Date:   3/30/2005 11:48:59 AM ( 19 y ago)
Hits:   1,734
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=590190

Thanks for responding Janaki! I have been lurking around this site for quite a while, but rarly post, mostly because I have an excellent teacher and well, I mostly a doer and not much of a philosophizer. Plus, I think your advice is excellent, and I don't really have much to add.

I only just started reading the sutras like three weeks ago. I've known about the eight limbs of yoga since I started asana practice, but never studied the sutras or really resurched written tradition. I figured now that I am closing in on eight years of asana practice, well I guess I'm over due for some intellectualizing. I have to say between the two translation and commentary (Iyengar & Feuerstein) I like Feuerstein better. I'm not very spirtiual, infact, I am an atheist, and I beleive Feuerstein is a buddist, so, his commentart on the God stuff speaks to me a little more. I'm an open minded atheist, so I am open to changing my mind about the existence of God, but, so far I simply just haven't had a reason to feel like there is a creator responsible for my existance. I know the Iyengar tradition believes there is a god, the superme guru, the seat of knowledge. I like the Iyengar verson is easier for me to understan, as far as the way it is written. Aside from the god stuff, I find both versions very applicable to life in general. I'm going to try to find the version you mentioned the next time I go to the book store.

I don't know anything about the tradition you study, Sivananda. So, I think that is pretty neat to have someone to compair notes with who is different from myself. Please feel free to tell me as much as you like about your yoga practice. Thank again for your responce. Peace, ff.

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.02 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=590190