CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: Shirshasana (head-stand) health risks? by #43216 ..... Yoga Support Forum

Date:   3/28/2005 10:59:38 PM ( 19 y ago)
Hits:   34,280
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=590183

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think for the most part my face is pretty relaxed, but I'll definately pay a bit more attention to it in the future. It kind of feels like silly putty or something, with gravity tugging on it, and sort of naturally forms a mild smile.

As for breathing, I'm still trying to figure that out, but I guess it all comes with practice. The asana kind of forces you to regulate your breathing as you try to become more and more still, but I have noticed that breathing in and out seems to cause my center of gravity to shift, causing me to have to continually adjust my balance (slightly) with each breath. I have tried breathing through different parts of the body (upper chest, stomach, etc) but it doesn't seem to make any difference, the slight balance shift still occurs. It's not really a problem unless I'm not paying attention and happen to inhale too fast, which can throw off my balance quicker than I can counter-balance... Is it normal for breathing to cause mild shifts in balance like this? Or could something be wrong with my posture?

I don't attend any classes or anything. I would be surprised if any worthwhile classes even existed in my city. 90% of my yoga info is from the books written by Sivananda (and others at The Divine Life Society) that are freely available (such as "Kundalini Yoga", "The Science of Pranayama", "The Practice of Brahmacharya", and many many others).

What exactly do you mean by eyes hardening?

Also, should my feet be flat as if standing straight up, or should my toes be pointing toward the ceiling?

--James

©†ƒ……•™¼‡_Original_Message_¾€š½ž¢«»¬ï°©

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think for the most part my face is pretty relaxed, but I'll definately pay a bit more attention to it in the future. It kind of feels like silly putty or something, with gravity tugging on it, and sort of naturally forms a mild smile.

As for breathing, I'm still trying to figure that out, but I guess it all comes with practice. The asana kind of forces you to regulate your breathing as you try to become more and more still, but I have noticed that breathing in and out seems to cause my center of gravity to shift, causing me to have to continually adjust my balance (slightly) with each breath. I have tried breathing through different parts of the body (upper chest, stomach, etc) but it doesn't seem to make any difference, the slight balance shift still occurs. It's not really a problem unless I'm not paying attention and happen to inhale too fast, which can throw off my balance quicker than I can counter-balance... Is it normal for breathing to cause (mild) shifts in balance like this? Or could something be wrong with my posture?

I don't attend any classes or anything. I would be surprised if any worthwhile classes even existed in my city. 90% of my yoga info is from the books written by Sivananda that are freely available (such as "Kundalini Yoga", "The Science of Pranayama", "The Practice of Brahmacharya", and many many others).

What exactly do you mean by eyes hardening?

Also, should my feet be flat as if standing straight up, or should my toes be pointing toward the ceiling?

--James

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.02 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=590183