CureZone   Log On   Join

Mercola against Ozone air purifiers. Opinions? by UserX ..... Oxygen Therapies Support Forum

Date:   4/3/2006 11:53:59 AM ( 18 y ago)
Hits:   15,011
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=447475

1 readers agree with this message.  Hide votes     What is this?

Hi,

does anyone have an opinion on this?

I'm still pretty new to the oxygen therapy thing, so i don't know myself.

But I have tended to believe what dr mercola has said in the past.

taken from http://www.mercola.com/forms/air_purifiers.htm

"But, because ozone is an oxidizer -- always trying to give away its extra atom -- high, sustained levels of ozone in the air near the ground can be harmful to humans, plants and animals."

"NEVER use Ozone Generators that use ozone as their primary source of purification!

Ozone is an unstable oxygen molecule (O3) that oxidizes anything it bumps into. So if it "bumps" into iron, it makes iron oxide or rust. Ozone air purifiers work by propelling the ozone by a fan, whatever the ozone bumps into it oxidizes. This is great for removing odors, killing mold and mildew -- and even killing small animals with enough exposure!

If a home is flooded or has a sewage backup, professionals will use this technology to help clean up the mess. Since people and pets are removed while the ozone is applied and are only brought back after the ozone is removed, this is an appropriate use of the technology.

Still, there are several firms that sell ozone air purifiers for home use. This can be dangerous because overexposure to ozone can bring on asthma symptoms, and a high enough level of ozone can actually scar your lungs! Beware of the following misleading sales pitches often used by retailers trying to sell ozone purifiers for residential use:

You need to turn up the ozone air purifier until you smell a fresh laundry scent - since your olfactory system becomes accustom to smells over time, this means that your purifier has to continually be set to deliver higher concentrations of ozone, often leading to serious health consequences!
Ozone purifiers are approved by the federal government for use in occupied spaces -- NO agency of the federal government has ever approved these devices for such use. In fact, several federal government agencies have worked in consultation with the EPA to produce a review that clearly documents that ozone is not appropriate for use in residential or home air purifiers.

Note: The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has established 80 ppb (parts per billion) of ozone exposure over eight hours as the National Ambient Air Quality Standard. The Underwriters Laboratories (the trusted source across the globe for product compliance) standard for emitting ozone is 50 ppb. Currently, air purifiers are not legally obligated to comply with this standard, but it is a very strong recommendation. When tested, the Way Healthier Home Air Purifier produced a maximum of 10 ppb - a very safe and effective level of ozone far below the UL standard of 50 ppb!"

I was interested in buying one, but now of course i am wary.

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.02 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=447475