CureZone   Log On   Join

Kichadi Recipe by shelleycat ..... Ask Shelley # 1 [Archive]

Date:   2/21/2004 4:14:00 PM ( 20 y ago)
Hits:   4,417
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=379702

3 readers agree with this message.  Hide votes     What is this?

I promised this recipe to someone but can't remember who! I was at work so didn't ahve the file. Hope they find it here! :)

I double the recipe and make it really thick.

Basic Warming Kichadi

1/2 cup basmati rice (has to be basmati! very yummy
and good for all doshas)
1/4 slit mung bean (can be solid too, but try to soak in water overnight)
6 cups water (play this by ear)
1 tablespoon butter or ghee (clarified butter), can
use olive oil
Bring to simmer and let cook for about 15 minutes, then start preparing the spices.

If you don't use 2 tablespoons Garam Masala, which is available in most stores - it's a mixture of many spices - make up this blend of spices:

1 tsp coriander seeds
3/4 tsp cardamom seeds
1 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground coves
1/2 tsp ground cumin

plus:
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
2 more tbl ghee or O/O
3/4 tsp Sea Salt
1 tbl fresh ginger root, grated
1/2 small onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic (optional)

2-4 cups fresh veggies (carrots, greens, zucchini,
chopped. Carrots are great for liver. Kale or Spinach should be included. )
more water as needed.

Warm tablespoon of ghee in small skillet. Add the
coriander, cardamom, peppercorns, (or garam masala)
and bay leaf saute for 2 to 3 minutes to release
flavor. Stir in the rest of the spices and onion and
garlic and sweat. Put the spices in a blender and blend well.
(don't bother if you use the garam masala). Pour
mixture into rice/mung bean soup. rince out blender and
pour this water in with it too. Cook for 20 minutes. Add veggies and cook for 5 minutes. Serve.

Why and When to Eat Kichadi

Kichadi was formulated literally thousands of years ago for all sorts of degenerative diseases, digestive complaints and nutritional deficiencies. The combo of spices is indeed very balanced, it is what we call "Tri-Doshic" meaning appropriate for ALl body types, altho some people who are very Pitta may need to reduce the amount of ginger and garlic. :)

It has perfect protein, in that it contains every essential amino acid so your body can synthesize any protein you need for muscles, repair work, hormones, enzymes, immuno response, etc. It's very alkaline in post-digestive effect on the body, so it neutralizes toxins and cleanses the bloodstream and cells. Mung beans are especially healthy for the blood.

You may use white or brown basmati rice. Brown has a tad more nutritional benefit, but it is also harder to digest and may constipate.

Eating nothing but Kichadi and salads is a type of fast often prescribed for all sorts of degenerative diseases and digestive complaints. Kichadi is very easy to digest. Even candida people may eat Kichadi because the pungent herbs ensure that it won't feed yeast. People who are prone to mucus complaints such as asthma, sinus infection or Acne should eat Kichadi because of the pungent herbs. People prone to gas/flatulence do well on Kichadi because of the carminitive spices.

Kichadi may be eaten during just about any protocol except for complete fasts or bloody stools which means no fiber for several days. Whether healing or tonifying, resting or weight lifting, Kichadi gives the body what it needs to establish balance.

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.03 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=379702