CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: ERCP caused death by stewilko62 ..... Liver Flush FAQ

Date:   5/27/2004 5:25:45 AM ( 20 y ago)
Hits:   60,292
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=332078

Hope you dont mind me sending you a message. My mother went into hosiptal on the 16th march 2004 for a ercp. We were told that the proceedure went ok.
The morning that I went to pick my mother up from hospital, 8:30am. I was shocked at what I saw. My mother was sat in a chair doubled over in agony. She was screaming in pain, as I approached her she said that she had been in pain all night long. When I asked the nurse what was going on she just said that she has phoned the doctor and couldn’t do anything until he had arrived. I sat there with my mother, who was vomiting green bile continually and was doubled over in pain. I asked repeatedly for some help from the staff, one even gave me two tablets in a plastic cup to give to my mother. She couldn’t take them because of the vomiting. The GP who had removed the Gallstones arrived some time later about 1:30pm, he said very apologetically he had left a gallstone in because it was to big to be removed. He said that he thought it may have had blocked my mums duodenum. The doctor who explained this to me at the time, kept saying sorry for making this mistake.
We stood and watched as other patients, some much older than my mother sat and looked over. Some where shaking there head in disgust at what they saw. Some where dressed and ready to leave after having a successful procedure. Why didn’t my mother be the same!
There where complications and she had to undergo a five hour surgery. The surgeon who carried out the operation told us that when they “opened my mother up” they did not find any blockage of any sort. We went through four weeks of watching my mother in agony, different doctors and surgeons gave us different explanations as to what was wrong with my mother. They told us that my mothers pancreas was in a bad way, most of the time they just said that my mother was a very ill woman.
My mother contracted Pancreatitis and MRSA. She had to undergo other operations which we where told where to clean the wound and “flush” my mothers stomach. She went through four weeks of agony has she she tried so hard to fight of the infection. The infections eventually caused my mother to pass away.
The Coroner was asked to do a post mortem as to the cause of death. We where issued with a interim death certificate, which was blank as to the cause of death. Then informed that an inquest will be held.
On May 19th of this year the coroners office phoned and informed us that my mothers died with naturel causes. They said "multiple organ failure caused by sepsis due to obstruction in the bile duct due to stones which they had to operate on". We find this unbelievable. she only went in for what we believed to be a minor procedure to locate the gallstones.

All through the time me mother was in hospital the doctors told us that my mother had no blockage or abscess. The surgeon said that when he “opened my mother up, it was like a can of worms, and the pancreas was a mess”. There was no mention of gallstones, we asked was there a blockage and he said defiantly no. When we where told from the coroner that my mum died as a result from a blockage in her bile duct caused by the gall stone removal we where shocked. They said that my mother had to have the wound in her stomach left open so that infection could escape. Because of the surgery or the other procedures my mother contracted pancreatitis, sepsis, and MRSA. All here vital organs could not cope and they gave her a less than 10% chance of survival.
We as a family believe that if the GP had firstly diagnosed her correctly, or had decided to remove the left in gallstone there would not of been a blockage and she would of still been here now. She also would not of been left for a period of twenty four hours in agony, she should of been monitored, and something corrected well before the blockage occurred. We also believe that she would not have had further surgery or contract further infections such as the MRSA virus. Why didn’t the GP who carried out the first procedure to locate the gallstones, try to remove one that was obviously to large. Why didn’t he there and then ask for further surgery to remove the large gallstones. He must of knew then that left in would of caused further complications. We believe that negligence occurred to my mother. Knowing how frail my mother was or looking at my mothers records the hospital could of tried alternative treatments.
She, and us as a family went through four weeks of hell, it was like a roller coaster of emotions.
We as a family have no idea what to expect, or what questions will be put to us. Or what really caused my mothers death. We are sure though that something went wrong somewhere. One thing I am sure about is that my mother did not die of naturel causes. If my mothers condition had been monitored or some of proceedure carried out earlier she might of been still here or had a better chance.
with thanks
Stephen Wilkinson

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.02 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=332078