CureZone   Log On   Join

Hurricane Update by Owen ..... Hurricanes & Tormadoes Extreme Weather Forum

Date:   9/12/2004 5:12:45 PM ( 20 y ago)
Hits:   619
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=273766

To all my friends and neighbors:

It's getting hard to remember what life was like before the hurricanes came calling. We've been threatened by three major hurricanes in a four-week period. However, only one of them, Frances, did any damage to Ocean Terrace.

And so far as I can tell, that damage was limited to trees, fences, and some shingles.

We have been VERY, VERY fortunate! God smiled on our little patch of the world.

The power went out again last night (Saturday) at 8 P.M. A transformer at the end of our driveway went off like a cannon, and power-lines draped across the drive. None ofthem appeared to be "live," but I left them alone.

I called FPL. A recorded message said that they hoped to restore our power by Wednesday; if not then, perhaps Friday.

And then at 2 P.M. today, a mini-miracle occurred. SIX trucks sponsored by FPL pulled into the parking lot!

Three of them were the giant trucks which have fork-lifts. About 10 men set to work to restore our power. Most of them were from Ohio and Indiana. A lot of lines were down, as well as transformers, and it took them about 90 minutes to restore
our power.

They were wonderful men, and I thanked them profusely on behalf of all my neighbors. I will write letters to the mayors of Hillsboro and Poartsmouth, Ohio, and thank them for sending their citizens such a long way to help us.

The power is on, and the AC feels delightful! It is a very hot
and humid day in South Florida.

Lots of people are still without power -- and haven't had it for 10 days. We only lost it for 5 days; another blessing.

The biggest blessing is that Ivan seems to be moving northwest into the Gulf, and may leave the southeast coast of Florida virtually untouched. Five days ago, no one dared hope for such an ending. We were sure we were going to get hit; the only question was how hard.

My Mom is fine. Thanks to all of you for sending her birthday cards and for the phone calls. She said she never received so many lovely ards.

If any of you are curious about how we celebrated her 95th birthday by candlelight in my brother's shuttered home, go to
www,curezone. com and click on the A Weather and Storm Forum. It's the first forum on the list. I'm a regular contributor
to that wonderful health forum. and I posted the story for all my friends there who have been praying for me. It's called Riding Out The Hurricanes.

Thanks for keeping us in your prayers. I'll keep those of you who are residents here, updated about the cleanup. It's going to be early to bed tonight.

Blessings,
Owen

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.02 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=273766