CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: Chronic scalp folliculitis by #182886 ..... Folliculitis Forum

Date:   3/25/2014 7:29:35 AM ( 10 y ago)
Hits:   61,364
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=2161725

I have had chronic superficial folliculitis for over 25 years but have kept it under control with twice weekly shampooing with a coal tar based shampoo. Polytar was the best but no longer available. There are other effective products however.

In my early 20s I was originally prescribed tetracyline Antibiotics with dose diminishing over a 6-8 week period and a paste of coal tar and sulfur applied every night before bed for several months. And use of a coal-tar based shampoo 2-3 times a week.

After finishing tetracycline and paste treatment I was encouraged to rely solely on the coal tar based shampoo for as long as the problem lasted. That turned out to be a long time! I rarely have to use the shampoo more than once or twice a week to keep scalp clear but use it as often as necessary if I notice any tell-tale itching or a pustule forming. A tip though - never use conditioners after treatment as it seems to weaken/reverse efficacy of the coal-tar shampoo. Same goes for any other kind of shampoo in between treatments.

I will be eternally grateful to the dermatologist who put me on to this regime and his confidence that I could keep the problem under control with the coal tar shampoo. I am now convinced that consistent use of the coal tar shampoo alone would have been enough to control the problem for me.

There have been some concerns raised about coal tar shampoos being carcinogenic. I have consulted doctors and pharmacists about this over the years and reviewed the evidence on the web and am been reassured that this is not a matter for concern.

I am not sure if coal tar solutions were part of the list of things you were prescribed in the past as I don't recognise some of the products. If so, this post will have been of little help to you.

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.02 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=2161725