CureZone   Log On   Join

Andreas Moritz on Serotonin by alisaun ..... Depression Forum

Date:   4/12/2004 12:10:00 AM ( 20 y ago)
Hits:   4,968
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=21513

1 readers agree with this message.  Hide votes     What is this?

Hi All,

I wanted to copy this from Andreas' forum as I think it's very applicable here!

Blessings,
Ali

Serotonin is a vasoconstrictor that inhibits gastric secretions (digestive enzymes/acids in your gut). It is produced in the APUD cells of the gastrointestinal tract and the pancreas. And, the greatest amount comes from the appendix. Serotonin is also present in relatively high concentrations in some areas of the central nervous system (CNS).

Since serotonin is a by-product of the tryptophan pathway, if your diet would consist of high turkey and cheese this would automatically elevate the serotonin levels, anywhere in the body. Also carbohydrate metabolism is very important. When the diet is rich in refined carbohydrates there is an elevation of glucose in the body. When this occurs the pancreas islet cells produce insulin to lower glucose levels in the blood stream. Es mentioned serotonin is produced by the APUD cells in the pancreas as well as the gut. If you have insulin-handling problems, the pancreas may become overwhelmed and create problems in the regulation of serotonin.

SSRI drugs, among other serious side-effects, inhibit balanced bile production by forming stones in the bile ducts of the liver, which in turn affects pancreatic functions. Eventually, this can lead to high gut serotonin and IBS symptoms. The Liver Cleanses (see The Amazing Liver Cleanse, www.authorhouse.com) is a better answer to taking these drugs. It improves sexual functions and emotional wellbeing, among thousands of other things.

Also increased exposure to sunlight may be a partial remedy to your problem. As light travels through the pupil of the eye it stimulates rods and cones on the retina and neurotransmitters are released. Dopamine is one of those neurotransmitters. Dopamine released into the system will counteract the balance or inhibit the release of serotonin. This allows serotonin to decrease while the mood increases from release of dopamine. With lack of dopamine in the body one will see elevated serotonin levels.
Input of light can indeed change the affects of patients that suffer states of depression. See more details in my book The Key to Health and Rejuvenation, www.authorhouse.com).

Andreas

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.03 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=21513