CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: High cortisol. Do I have it? by 155216 ..... Adrenal Fatigue Forum

Date:   11/8/2013 8:40:24 AM ( 11 y ago)
Hits:   2,648
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=2122067

Hi

High Cortisol and low cortisol mimic some symptoms, but alcohol withdrawal, akin to benzo withdrawal are very similar, due to both drugs acting on the gaba receptors in the brain, I feel for you because I know how brutal it can be. I toyed with the whole is it hyperthyroid, is it high cortisol, when it fact, it was the opposite in both cases.

I have been both low cortisol and high cortisol and what you will probably find is that you are low cortisol , and its adrenaline that is being generated because cortisol is not available, hence why Seriphos makes things worse, as this is used to lower cortisol. As this is withdrawal related, unfortunately the only way through it is perseverance, I have been through benzo wihdrawal, and it took over 11 months before I began to come out of the acute stage (and that was after three months gentle use). Alcohol withdrawal is said to be less of a recovery time, which is good for you! What many people who have not experienced this, is that the mental states are completely out of character, and no amount of meditation or CBT will fix it, because it is in theory, minor brain damage, however rewiring the neurons will help massively, even just to get through the days till the true healing takes place

Zoloft and SSRI's enhance cortisol, which is why they calm you down if you have low cortisol, Zoloft is very activating, Lexapro in the middle, with Paxil being the most calming, however there are bad stories of people getting off them all, because they are a band aid, unless you systematically restore and relax your system through nutrition, supplements, spirutal and pyschological understand, yoga, meditation etc, then the problems could potentially be made worse when weaning off the drug. I am a big fan of low dose Lexapro (2.5mg) and it is an SSRi with the least amount of side effects, however everyone is different, so you might find one of the others may help better. But if you do decide to go down that route, remember to do an extremely slow wean off them

Curezone is anti pharma meds, but unfortunately not many on here have experience the brutality of a gaba related withdrawal syndrome, but I understand completely. Stay off all gaba-antogonists herbs like Ashwaganda, Holy Basil etc as most on here will recommend them, they will only intefere with the recovery in your brain, and things like Liver Cleanses will ultimately make things a lot worse. Unfortunately I tried stuff like this to get relief and ultimately paid the price.

My advice, if you are deeply concerned over cortisol levels, then get an ASI (adrenal stress index 4 x saliva test) test to check if they are high or low, and then you can treat accordingly. However high dose Vitamin C is a must for either condition, so in the mean time I would start on that. Once you know for sure, you can look to ways to treat it...you may be high in the morning and low in the afternoon, it can change hourly. The ASI will show your pattern.

Just keep going, you will make it through it, it will get better.

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.02 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=2122067