CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: troll def. by Hveragerthi ..... Ask Trapper

Date:   4/30/2012 6:49:16 AM ( 12 y ago)
Hits:   2,693
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1935090

1 of 1 (100%) readers agree with this message.  Hide votes     What is this?

allow me to elaborate on the past observations Hv as well

I noticed that when trolls attack, they crave the attention you provide. For example, when you provide a troll with a long, explicatory response, a troll will often consider your response as serious and, hence, worthy of further trolling. As long as you give trolls attention, it is synonymous with feeding them.

In a way yes.  But I respond with evidence, which they cannot refute.  Granted this pisses them off more.  But the goal is to make sure people get valid information, not some misguided quackery such as drinking olive oil and lemon juice will cause you to pass golf ball size gallstones or more gallstones than your entire abdomen can hold.    Such goofy claims are made too often on some of these boards and people will often buy in to it if not given a different view.

However, people that do not agree with your way, or thinking, and do not attack you or your methodology, but do attack your sources of information aren't technically trolls.

Maybe, maybe not.  It depends on how they go about attacking my sources of information.  When they respond with insults, claim that I am wrong simply because they say so or post on other boards I usually do not look at with the intent to try and make me look non-credible simply because they have no real evidence to come back with then I consider this troll tactics.

But you already know this. Yet, I noticed you took the troll bait in the past and engaged in heated debate.

Yes, I agree.  But for the most part I ignore most of their games.  For example, I am not responding to the troll comment above even though it is a complete lie because I know the intent is to simply bait me.  

Best way to handle troll bait IMO is to not fling the insults around, that's the whole reason for troll existence. Once you rage, you are trolled and give threads new life. Catch 22 is letting the troll know the troll is a troll, it often leads to troll ego boost, but it's up to you to decide based on complex trolling variables. As long as posts are - on-topic - then arguing, debating, discussing, or contibuting to a thread is within reason and not trollin'.

Question is, why are you being trolled!? Someone has it out for you? Disagree with your philosophies, politics, healing modalities, or antics?

I have found that the trolls that have repeatedly attacked me were people I had discredited their claims.  For example, the majority of trollish behavior has come from supporters of "oleander soup", "liver flushing" , alkaline therapies and the Moreless protocol all of which I have discredited with real evidence.  People often treat this stuff like a religion though and people generally cannot tolerate having their religions questioned.  This is why I have spent so much time off of Curezone presenting evidence on other sites or through YouTube videos.  This way I can present the evidence without having to deal with constant attacks or a lack of rule enforcement as I have to put up with here on Curezone.  I am also addressing a lot of this in the book I am working on about alternative cancer therapies.  People can choose to read the evidence of what works and what does not or they can burn the book for all I care if they don't want to accept the evidence.  Presenting the evidence though these ways prevent the constant troll attacks and games.

It's absurd that we don't have non-biased moderators running around the forums with God-like powers to shut trolls up when they are blatantly off-topic consistently.

Yes, I totally agree.  Unfortunately, I have found that in at least one case the moderator was acting as a troll even sending out PMs to recruit people in to joining in on his attacks against me to drive me off.  Yet the WM would not do anything about the troll and erased my PMs with the evidence proving the constant TOS violations.  So the problem is not just with the moderators but also the WM if the WM refuses to take action to stop the abuses.

I have been so fed up with the trolls being allowed to constantly violate TOS that I rarely come to Curezone anymore.   I have found other places to post information where I am not constantly attacked for posting evidence against things like "liver flushing" and alkalinizing.  I do check in once in a while to answer a few posts usually focusing on the older posts first or ones that sound like an emergency.  

It's also unfortunate that so many posters that I really liked and we had a great interaction already left permanently because of the trolls taking over.

Points to remember, stay calm and don't fight fire with fire to make the fire burn brighter. Find some way to compliment their argument and get them to validly join the discussion. The other option is to ignore them, completely, or block their constant flame wars.

I have been working on it.  Sometimes it is really hard though to not respond when you know the troll is posting a complete lie about you to cover their own asses and to make you look bad.

You can use some
http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/fallacies.html

Thanks, I don't have time to read all that right now but saved the link to read later when I have more time.

But trolls don't use normal reasoning skillz. You can seem like a troll for pointing out fallacies too, it is best to use plain boring language in those scenarios.

Not really clear on examples you are referring to here.  When I try to explain something to people I do try to keep it in layman's language as much as possible.  Even explaining what a study is saying since many people do not know how to read or comprehend studies.  Even in my book I am referencing the book heavily to help prevent arguments but I am also explaining the findings of the studies and the reasoning behind them.  So this is where I am not clear on what you are saying.  I don't see explaining findings, errors or a concept as being trollish.

i hope u found this post interdasting

Yes, interesting and a good reminder about not feeding the trolls.  Thanks.

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.00 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=1935090