CureZone   Log On   Join

"Holiday Season" & Domestic Violence by #68716 ..... Abused Husbands: Physical & Mental

Date:   12/3/2010 11:43:14 AM ( 14 y ago)
Hits:   5,292
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1733167

1 readers agree with this message.  Hide votes     What is this?

Once again, the "holiday season" is upon us and abusers have available countless opportunities and excuses to perpetrate more frequent and severe episodes of domestic violence and abuse against their victims.  Domestic violence/abuse includes:  emotional violence, verbal violence, physical violence, religious/spiritual abuse, financial abuse, and sexual abuse.  Domestic violence and abuse has no cultural, religious, sexua| orientation, ethnic, or economic boundaries.  There is no stereotype or profile for domestic violence to exist, and it covers every "intimate" relationship, including platonic and familial associations. 

During the holiday season, it is a statistical fact that reports of domestic violence and the severity of the episodes make a dramatic spike.  The reason is simple:  there are ample excuses for the abuser to experience "stress," and therefore more ample opportunities to blame victims for increasing stress in one way or another, especially in our current economic climate.  Of course, the victims have nothing to do with the perpetration of violence by their abusers - they don't "ask for it," or stretch the limits of stress to cause their abusers to harm them.  They are just there, for whatever reason. 

If children are involved, the violence often becomes even more extreme with a reported 90% of all domestic violence being perpetrated IN FRONT OF CHILDREN.  Often, the victim is threatened with "No Presents" for children unless the victim agrees OR submits to (fill in the blank).  The victim is frightened of being abused, certainly, but they are even more frightened of the threats that may be seen through by the abuser.  In my previous life, the abuser did, indeed, follow through with threats and the children were denied gifts during the holiday, special holiday meals, participation in religious/spiritual rituals, and many, many other witholdings.  Keep in mind this statistical fact:  children who are raised in an environment of domestic violence and abuse are 10 times more likely to develop into abusers or victims, themselves.  If they develop into abusers, their level of abuse will be greater than their predecessor's.

How to know if you (or, someone you know) is involved in an abusive relationship?  The first thing to do is to open your eyes and put on your "listening ears."  From the National Domestic Violence Hotline website, www.ndvh.org, a general list of potential violence/abuse is provided:

You may be in a physically abusive relationship if your partner has ever:

You may be in a sexually abusive relationship if your partner:

I got out.  I lost many, many things, including my own children.  You, on the other hand, might be able to fare better than I did if you go through the proper channels.  NOTHING is worth remaining - "Things" can be replaced, but there is no monetary equivalent to human life or well-being.

My most sincere positive energies and brightest blessings to all who are afraid, suffering, and desperate.  End the cycle and contact:  .National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE (7233) or TTY 1−800−787−3224 

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.00 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=1733167