CureZone   Log On   Join

Actually, components of oleander DO cross the blood-brain barrier by Dquixote1217 ..... Cancer Forum

Date:   7/26/2010 12:45:13 AM ( 14 years ago ago)
Hits:   13,109
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1659622

0 of 0 (0%) readers agree with this message.  Hide votes     What is this?

I appreciate your concern, Woody, but are you saying that everything the patient is doing so far is OK, but adding anything to the list would be dangerous?  It is a pretty sizeable list as it is - and it appears to be a pretty good one too - and so I wonder where the tipping point might be where adding another item would be too much.

I realize that a key consideration and area of danger when it comes to brain cancer is finding a way to eliminate the cancer tumor without causing significant brain swelling, and certainly that has been a problem with various chemo treatments as well as some alternative ones.  However, such has not usually been the case with oleander and, contrary to what you may have been led to believe, components of oleander do actually cross the blood/brain barrier as was indicated in the following PubMed published study led by noted MD Anderson researcher Dr. Robert A. Newman.

Murine pharmacokinetics and metabolism of oleandrin, a cytotoxic component of Nerium oleander.

Ni D, Madden TL, Johansen M, Felix E, Ho DH, Newman RA.

Pharmaceutical Development Center, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 8000 El Rio, Houston, TX 77054, USA.

"Uptake of oleandrin in brain after i.p. injection of oleandrin (3 mg/kg) or oleander extract (700 mg/kg) was examined. Measured by LC/MS/MS, oleandrin content in brain was higher following injection of extract than it was with an equivalent dose of oleandrin. The data suggest that components within oleander extract may enhance transport of oleandrin across the blood brain barrier."

From the Nerium Biotechnology website:

Dr. Newman’s research has demonstrated that components of Anvirzel™ are active on dual pathways at the cellular level to promote apoptosis and/or autophagy (cell death) in human tumors but not normal cells. This research has led to the publication of twelve peer-reviewed journal articles that describe Anvirzel™ (Nerium oleander extract) and its components (oleandrin). The twelve articles present the body of research conducted by Dr. Newman, Ph.D., as the founder and Co-Director of New Product Development, Department of Experimental Therapeutics, at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas.

This preclinical research has shown that Anvirzel™:

It is perhaps notable that some of the patented oleander medicine Anvirzel's earliest successes were in childhood brain tumors. For a couple of case reports on oleander (Anvirzel) success with adult brain tumors see:

Brain tumor - AS

Brain tumor - SD

J Exp Ther Oncol. 2002 Sep-Oct;2(5):278-85.

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.00 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=1659622