CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: Nutritional Treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) by bluestar ..... Depression Forum

Date:   6/27/2010 2:06:10 PM ( 14 y ago)
Hits:   18,874
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1644025

I apologize for not reading all the posts in this thread yet, but I feel compelled to add a positive voice to what the original poster has written.

I think that treatment of PTSD w/nutritional therapy works. And, I personally have found the high/low blood Sugar balance thing as a definite trigger for setting off my symptoms. A major trigger for me is glutin rich foods.

I am coming from a paradigm in which places the primary trigger of PTDS is stress. Given that stress in some people precipitates bad habits which then cause more stress resulting in a downward spiral of anxiety and depression. Many people have bad food habits which they fall into when stressed. I've found certain foods can trigger my symptoms and I have learned to stay away from them. While there may be similarities in a person's trigger, food triggers may vary as much as individual environmental triggers.

I original poster didnt say that diet was a "cause" of PTSD, but rather that it cld be used to help heal or alleviate symptoms. For me, glutin rich breads of any kind (sweet or not) is also a huge trigger. additives and/or combinations of additives in foods can be triggers. Sometimes food triggers do not show up for a day or more. I can eat some trigger foods in moderation, but if I reach a saturation point I am usually in for some unpleasant mood (which at least I know are due more to the food I've eaten than everything bad that ever happened to me coupled which everything bad that ever might. Depending upon how fast I can cleanse myself -- seems to correlate nicely with my episodes of anxiety, etc.

Going organic and cleaning up one's diet can go a long way in alleviating PTSD symtoms. I think food and exercise are good long term strategies -- life style habits that can promote a less stress-free body. Giving one's mind a rest (which is stress producing in itself) thru meditation is an excellent way to calm the body. If one is able to cut stress-producing thought patterns off at their genesis by a meditation process/practice, this can be as useful as an emergency inhaler to an asthma sufferer.

Again, I believe stress (of any kind) can induce systems for PTSD sufferers. The more we can train our bodies to handle stress, the less we will feel symtoms.

I'm new to the group. Forgive me if I've trod on any toes, but I am a PTSD sufferer myself who has only recently found a label for my "condition". I am here to learn and share.

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.02 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=1644025