CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: Mental illnesses.. Can we really cure them? by roxyladybug ..... Schizophrenia & Schizoaffecive Disorder

Date:   3/7/2010 9:36:39 PM ( 14 years ago ago)
Hits:   7,870
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1586260

Dear Nadia-

I only watched the last video as I already have an all too clear idea of what you are talking about.

When I was 18, I started working in a Pharmacy. I wanted to become a pharmacist to help sick people. However, I noticed that alot of people who came into the pharmacy were not "sick". We gave out high doses of ritalin and adderall to this one 8-year-old boy, who when he came into the store, would knock so many things of the shelves, and his mom wouldn't do anything! Her complacency enabled his bad behavior... he didn't need drugs. He needed a firm talking to!

This is just one example of many people who would come in to b e medicated who didn't need to buy drugs. They needed a more humanistic approach to find stability. But telling the mom she just needs to discipline her kid, does not keep the pharmaceutical company's in business. And that's what they're about.

I have another story. I was diagnosed with Depression at age 19, when I was considering suicide and decided to "go and get help". I had heard that phrase so many times, and thought, better to help preserve my life than endanger my loved ones with the pain of my death. However... the "help" I have gotten, through therapy, medication, and hospital stays, has not made me feel better in any way. I am 22 now, just as desolate as when I started, but still alive.

Do I think Depression is a medical disease? I do not know... I want to say no, but do not have all the information yet. That is partly why I joined this forum. I want to learn more about the chemicals that make up a brain, if it's possible to test their levels, and what effect does eating properly have on depression?

What I can say, is that I am incredibly disappointed with myself for succumbing to take anti-depressants, instead of trying to change other factors in my life. Sometimes, when you are so depressed, the energy it takes just to prepare a meal is incredible. Or perhaps, I should say, the energy you have is just so low, that you are willing to do anything... even take something you don't want to. I do wish, that the people I went to for help, would have offered different approaches than medication though.

-roxy

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.01 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=1586260