CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: The Philosophy of Naturopathy (Nature Cure- Natural Medicine) by lee123 ..... Ask Dennis Hardy ND

Date:   6/25/2009 12:36:33 AM ( 15 y ago)
Hits:   7,211
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1443895

I think Dr.Dennis is simplifying the concepts here so that others can understand very easily.

I think people go into learning something for a reason, and usually, it is for a good reason. Example: Fred wants to become a doctor and he wants to become a doctor to help people get well.

Dr.Dennis isn't saying that the people who practice official Naturopathy are bad. I think he is just saying that he does not advocate those philosophies and practices that the official "Naturopathic Doctor" extends from because of the reasons he has already mentioned.
It seems to me they somehow the official Naturopathic Doctors have become a blacksheep. They are not really accepted by the medical world. And they are not really fully accepted by the holistic medicine world. This is because they are trying to combine the best of both worlds but perhaps they lose this because they don't really choose the best of either world. They are trying to forge a bridge but in my experience, it is not working.

I would have to say I have been to the offices of two different official Naturopathic Doctors. The first one I went to was actually for a very painful "incurable" condition that I was dealing with. It was bad to the point that I was about ready to fillout paperwork to become legally disabled. I went to him for one year. I had *some* improvement during that year and was able to go to school for a single semester's time, which is a few months of physical freedom more than I had experienced in a long while. But after one year of paying $500-$700 per month to see him and I felt like the I could feel the pain still there, just waiting to come back. And it did, full force once I stopped the very expensive homeopathics. During that year, he not once put his hands on my body, with the exception of the initial evaluation where they look in your mouth and may have poked around the glands on the neck. He was definitely legal, definitely properly licensed (as far as ND's are concerned), and was a part of a long list of ND organizations so it was not that he wasn't "licensed to touch". That he was. I would find that I would end up sitting with him for 10 minutes every other visit to talk about my progress and then I was charged a 3 digit number for this 10 minute talk, it started to seem a little ridiculous.
After having learned so much about natural, holistic, and alternative medicine, I can look back and see that he is a person who condones natural therapies, and uses them, but he uses them in such a way that treats the symptoms that the body is expressing, and does not work to find the CAUSE of the ailment.

The second office that I went to was for career choice reasons. A friend of mine was seeing an official Naturopathic Doctor and so I went with her to see how he ran his office and how I felt/what I thought about the profession, a second time around. The doctor evaluated her by having his nurse (and she was an official nurse) take most of the small tests like blood pressure. After waiting a bit she would see the doctor and he checked the tongue, poked about, looked in ears. He then used a machine that she placed her palm onto a device that would read her palm and a read out would show up on the laptop. This was a diagnostic of what was going on in her body. He did another test similar, by probing her hand with a small metal device (gently, non-invasive)which was connected also to another laptop for a read out of the body. This was also a diagnostic. The other Naturopathic doctor I attended previously had a test similar to the latter I just mentioned. These tests are hit or miss. They run down the list of diagnostics asking "So you've been having headaches?" "How's your teeth?" "Have you been feeling depressed?" When I was the one being treated I would have 30 to 40% yes and then the rest no's. This seemed to be the case with my friend as well.

These are only two experiences but they are enough to impact me.

Overall I am unimpressed with Naturopathic Doctors' results. Why go to all the trouble of 4 to 6 years of hard schooling to not get physically adjusted, or utilize hands on modalities of any sort, or not use what you learned? As far as I'm concerned, there is almost always a reason someone can use some kind of physical balancing what with the nature of today's world. And Naturopathic Doctor's cannot bill insurance (unless under the supervision of an MD) and they cannot train their own therapists/assistants.

In this way, Chiropractors get more done. Chiropractors can have "back office" assistants. They can bill some insurances for certain treatments. They are very hands on and almost all of their schooling is as such. If you find a holistic, gentle chiropractor who is knowledgable of nutrition, diet, and mind/body/energy healing like I did, then you can heal from the "incurable" as I did. I no longer have what I was dealing with and did not have to go on disability.

I am feeling that the Traditional Naturopaths are far more on track than the official Naturopaths are. I just did not realize that they are completely different until I reached this discussion. Thanks for all the education and info Dr.Dennis! Any suggestions of schools/institutions to become a Traditional Naturopath?

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.00 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=1443895