CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: Fasting/bingeing by redlepton ..... Warrior Diet Forum

Date:   6/29/2006 6:42:58 PM ( 18 y ago)
Hits:   5,643
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=117438

I think that the media in the US has way overblown the whole eating disorder thing and has gotten people paranoid about it.

I think we are talking about two different things and people are getting them confused. First there are diets - the warrior diet, the raw diet, etc - these are physical, i.e. what you are ingesting. Then there are disorders - anorexia, bulimea, obsessive/complusive - these are mental states. I have seen posts on the raw forum of people worried that if they tried the raw diet, that they may "become" anorexic. In my opinion, this is just media hype making us paraniod. You cannot "catch" a mental disorder by trying to eat a certain way to become healthy. Though I do think that if you have a mental disorder, then you may be more drawn to try a certain way of eating.

I believe that people with different physiologies can achieve their health goals by eating in different ways. So I don't think there is anything wrong with experimenting with different diets. If you don't feel healthier while you are doing it, then you need to stop and re-evaluate. But, if you are eating food that you believe is healthy in amounts and on a schedule that gives you energy, clears up your skin, and gives you whatever other health benefits you are looking for, then this is not a "disorder", it is just a way of eating.

Also, I think some people use the whole "eating disorder" thing as a mental crutch to justify themselves being fat. I have seen fat women on talk shows thinking it's okay to eat fast food every week, after all they don't want to be "anorexic".

As a side note, I have joked with people that I have whatever the opposite of anorexia is, though it has not been named by society yet. I have always been a small person, and was teased in school and called anorexic. I have always been obsessed with trying to gain weight. I used to force myself to eat 3-5,000 calories per day through eating bags of candy, pizza, gallons of whole milk. I never broke through the 110 pound mark (except when I was pregnant, when I got up to a whopping 130 pounds). This way of eating is destructive and I developed blood Sugar problems (which cleared up as soon as I came to my senses); it's crazy, but that's what the health and fitness "experts" tell you to do - just keep eating. Go to any gym and that's what they'll tell you - and by the way, don't do any aerobic excercise like running, because that'll make you burn calories and loose weight (small people do not need to have a healthy heart, you see).

In short, don't listen to what other people say/think. Follow what you think is best/healthiest for yourself, and you'll be much better off.

Tina.

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.03 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=117438