CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: Mirena and side effects by txjuliebee ..... Mirena, Skyla IUD Forum

Date:   4/17/2006 11:56:50 PM ( 18 y ago)
Hits:   10,140
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=106736

5 of 6 (83%) readers agree with this message.  Hide votes     What is this?

Please read this manual published by the Canadian branch of Berlex labs (the distributor of Mirena in Canada)
http://www.berlex.ca/html/docs/en/MirenaEn.pdf

Note on page 7 the OBSERVED variance in levels of levonorgestrel absorption, anywhere between 10 micrograms and 40 micrograms per day were recorded. That's a range of "half" the "daily dose" to DOUBLE it. Is it really so hard to believe as a medical professional that some women might be reacting to higher than normal amoutns of levonorgestrel? Or perhaps they are just very senstive to the drug, just as some people are more sensitive to SSRIs or anti-epileptics. Consider that levonorgestrel is one of the more highly androgenic progestins used in birth control and also one of the most potent.

Is it so hard to believe that all the side effects that had been attributed to the Norplant system could be attributed to the Mirena as well? Considering they use the EXACT same hormone in a similiarly distributed dose?

Than also consider that recent studies have shown that borth control hormones can effect your levels of SHBG (or if you don't know what that means -- Sex hormone Binding Globulin) for over a YEAR after discontinuing. If it can effect that ONE hormone for that long, what other hormones are being thrown out of whack for a year or more after pulling out the Mirena? Could long term side effects that doctors are passing off as hearsay, or genetic or poor-lifestyle choices truly be caused in part or in whole by the Mirena?

Then take in point the Birth Control Patch, Ortho Evra. During clinical trials it was reported that a woman absorbed much smaller amount of hormones from the Patch than what would be consumed and absorbed by pills. But new findings show that the Patch can release over 60% MORE hormones than what is contained in a "normal" 30-35 mg of estrogen pill.

Or what about the long known effect BC hormones have on initial insulin response to glucose? For years doctors have said this lowered initial response did not have an overall effect because the total insulin response was not lowered by much (it WAS ALWAYS lower though). Now however, diabetes research is leading to show us that it is PRECISELY that initial response that may be the contributing factor in insulin resistance and Type II Diabetes. The theory is that because of a lower initial response, your insulin levels try to "make up" for being to low by producing excessive amounts of insulin in later stages. These excessive amounts are what lead to....can you guess? That's right! Insulin resistance which can lead to......weight gain and other health risks.

So despite ALL these things, you are going to tell the HUNDRED of Mirena USERS that suffer side effect (numbers are creeping up into the 20% range - ovarian cysts have been primlimary observed in 12% of users) that we are making it up because we want an excuse?

I find these generic statements such as yours extremely ignorant, and while I am glad for you that your experience with the Mirena has been positive, I pray that the patients you see on a daily basis receive a tad bit more sympathy than you have provided here. And then once again I should remind you that while you are a nurse (and I do respect you for that) you are not an endocrinologist (nor even a physician), and only hold a basic overview on how hormones interplay amongst each other and effect your total body.

Julie

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.02 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=106736