CureZone   Log On   Join

My experience with AFIB (which I no longer have), by #76749 ..... Atrial Fibrillation Forum

Date:   12/6/2007 12:51:19 PM ( 17 y ago)
Hits:   60,390
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1056842

1 readers agree with this message.  Hide votes     What is this?

I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation a little over a year ago.  It reared it's ugly head the worst one time when after walking about 45-50 minutes I became light headed and had to sit down to rest.  For the next couple of
weeks I had some significant episodes and eventually had one recorded on an EKG. 

Once this was all diagnosed I recognized that I'd been having either AFIB or some type of fibrillation for decades (I'm 76).  I then began to also identify some cause and effect situations, at least for me -  I don't know about others.  On being diagnosed I immediately quit my daily 5 - 6 cups of regular coffee and went to decaf.  I also found that after eating carbohydrates, particularly bread (which I love), I would have an episode. 

Another trigger was diet cola.  So by limiting these things I was able to limit the AFIB and also the intensity of the AFIB.

I did some searching of the Internet and found that a lack of Iodine can cause fibrillation. So, within a month of being diagnosed I added kelp supplements to my daily routine, 225 mcg, 4 to 6 per day, half in the morning, half in the evening.    I also added COQ10.  After a few months of keeping myself off of carbohydrate triggers and on the kelp supplements, my bouts diminished significantly.  After about 7 or 8 months, they quit completely and I haven't had a bout in at least 6 months.  I quit the COQ10 about 5 months ago but have continued the kelp - which I believe is the key to stopping the AFIB.

One other point is that about the time I was diagnosed with AFIB I was also put on a blood pressure medication Lisinopril which is an ACE inhibitor.

Then a couple of months ago I took my normal one hour walk and was able to walk with very limited pain for the first time in over a year.  I then remembered that I had forgotten to take my Lisinopril, so I quit it and haven't taken any since then (with my doctor's knowledge).   Then, in putting 2 and 2 together I recognized that my horrible bouts with AFIB had started when I was put on Lisinopril.  My doctor denied that Lisinopril had anything to do with AFIB, but I know better.  I know that it contributed to the severity of it.

Bottom line for me is that I am convinced that kelp/iodine cured my AFIB.  In the past few weeks I've even tried to induce it by eating breads or drinking diet colas, and nothing adverse has happened.  (I am diabetic and am on the Virginia Mason diet which is a maximum of 15 carbohydrates per meal, so bread wasn't a big part of my diet anyway.)

Incidentally, when I learned that I had AFIB and I felt it starting, I would drink an ounce or two of apple cider vinegar, and that would sometimes stop it.  I got onto ACV when I learned that it helped control blood Sugar levels, and because my AFIB was often associated with BS triggering carbohydrates, I tried this and it often (but not always) worked for me.  Sometimes I'd have to take 3 or 4 ounces of ACV before it did any good.  I'd drink an ounce or more straight, and wash it down with water.  Once I got used to this, it wasn't difficult to ingest.

Another thing, I joined an AFIB group on Yahoo.  You can do a search for it within Yahoo groups.  I learned a tremendous amount there about AFIB, passed on a couple of things abut my experiences, and others remarked that theirs too was brought on by carbohydrates and a couple of people also mentioned that the ACV helped them too.

Here is a link to a connection between Iodine and AFIB (part way down the
page):
http://iodine4health.com/overviews/clinicians/west_clinician.htm

Another link to a possible Iodine AFIB connection (summary only) where you will find the statement: "CONCLUSION: Thyroid function should be evaluated in all patients older than 40 years of age with AF. The benefits of iodine supplementation are great, but more attention should be paid to the complications of iodine repletion, including thyrotoxicosis and its frequent accompaniment, AF."

http://grande.nal.usda.gov/ibids/index.php?mode2=detail&origin=ibids_references&therow=762005

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.02 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=1056842