CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: Flu Shots do protect the elderly, Newer data reveals by Dquixote1217 ..... News Forum

Date:   10/16/2007 1:36:49 AM ( 17 y ago)
Hits:   4,666
URL:   https://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1021955

1 readers agree with this message.  Hide votes     What is this?

Looks like mainstream needs to get it's stories and studies co-ordinated.

The Lancet version. published this month, argued that the mortality benefits of flu shots for the elderly have been greatly exaggerated because of a subtle bias and other methodologic problems in many of the relevant studies :

"The remaining evidence base is currently insufficient to indicate the magnitude of the mortality benefit, if any, that elderly people derive from the vaccination programme," says the analysis by Lone Simonsen, PhD, of George Washington University in Washington, DC, and colleagues.

The Lancet Infectious Diseases authors offer several reasons for questioning the notion that flu immunization saves lives in the elderly population:

Simonsen and colleagues also write that since 1968, flu has accounted for an average of about 5% of all winter deaths in older people. Yet the results of cohort studies have prompted claims that flu vaccination reduces the risk of winter death from any cause by about 50% for community-dwelling people older than 65. "That influenza vaccination can prevent ten times as many deaths as the disease itself causes is not plausible," say Simonsen et al.

Regardless of the figures and interpretations, I contend that strong natural anti-virals and immune boosters are a better choice.   I have never had a flu shot and never will - not even for the so-called Avian flu. People who do not take measures to keep their immune system strong and take anti-viral natural supplements like colloidal silver, olive leaf extract, garlic, onion, echinacea, etc. would perhaps be good candidates for a flu shot.

DQ 

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.02 sec, referred by http://www.curezone.org/forums/fmp.asp?i=1021955