CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Ovarian cancer symptoms

iggie11 Views: 15,016
Published: 15 years ago

This is a reply to # 958,160

Re: Ovarian cancer symptoms

Ovarian cancer has been #1 on my worry list since I first started experiencing the abdominal bloating, occasional distension, and general feelings of abdominal fullness. I've not had any loss of energy, no changes in my bowel habits, no ongoing urinary problems, no weight loss, and no abdominal pain. I'm also 32, have had a child, no family history of any female cancers, and I was on the pill for many years (considered a protective factor). So now that my IUD is out (HORRAY!!!!!) I'll do a bit of wait and see on the abdominal bloating issues. I know a lot of us have had abdomens that look like we're a few months pregnant--and we're attributing that to Mirena. I know that women with ovarian cancer can get similarly-distended abdomens--either from the tumor itself for from edema. I read that if you push your finger into your abdomen and an indentation remains, that's edema (water retention). So that hasn't been my own experience, so it allays my fears a bit. I know that pelvic exams (PAP smears) don't detect ovarian cancer (that's for cervical cancer) but doctors are supposed to feel your ovaries thoroughly to detect lumps or irregularities. That's how cysts are usually discovered. So it would stand to reason that tumors could be discovered the same way....not diagnosed, obviously, but palpitated. Of course, if the tumor is really small then I imagine a doctor wouldn't be able to feel it. Anyway...I was actually going to ask about the possible protective effects of mirena in this regard....??? The more a woman ovulates, the more likely cancerous cells can form. That's why having had chidren (and breastfeeding) are considered protective factors. (A late age of beginning menstruation and an early menopause are also considered protective factors). Also, since the Pill suppresses ovulation, the longer a woman is on the Pill the stronger the protective impact that can have against developing ovarian cancer. So does the Mirena do the same??? ...suppress ovulation? I know some of us have not had a period in months on the Mirena--so could that possibly be "good" in terms of ovarian cancer protection? I wonder. Sounds logical, but I don't know if it's medically sound or accurate. Anyone know anything on this?

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2022  curezone.org

0.297 sec, (2)