CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: calling John Cullison

Original Hulda Clark
Hulda Clark Cleanses

Your Ad Here
Place your ad here !

J.Crow’s® Lugol’s Iodine
Free S&H.Restore lost reserves.J.CROW’S®Lugol’s Iodine Solut...

More
John Cullison Views: 987
Published: 18 years ago

This is a reply to # 88,179

Re: calling John Cullison

Aye, that's a bit of a problem for me. What I think is meant by "brother" and "bretheren" and "father" differ somewhat from what many (not all) Christians have told me about them. (No one's really mentioned "neighbor" before -- I think we all kinda get the idea that the only relationship indicated there is mere proximity of domicile...)

In the original languages of the time (as I understand it -- linguists might have alternatives to offer), a "father" was one who possessed a characteristic. A man with a long nose might be called the "father of a long nose". A generous man might be the "father of generosity". So the word "father", as used back then in Jesus's time, had a secondary but more familiar meaning, not unlike how we use the word "fathers" as in "founding fathers (of the United States)".

"Brothers"... what was its familiar meaning back then? Did Jesus use "brother" to mean "fellow Christian"? I doubt he was preaching to a lot of Christians back in his day, so it seems unlikely to me that he meant brothers exclusively in this "saved" context. If God is the "father" of all -- and you'll get no argument from me on that point -- then we are all necessarily "brothers" (and "sisters"), regardless of whether or not we've accepted Christ.

I'll grant that in many instances, Jesus is quoted as speaking to his disciples, in which case a more familiar, more closely-bonded meaning could apply, but I don't often see it that way when I read the words.

=-John-=

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.org

0.547 sec, (1)