CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Jesus preached and taught in Aramaic

Original Hulda Clark
Hulda Clark Cleanses

Your Ad Here
Place your ad here !

J.Crow’s® Lugol’s Iodine
Free S&H.Restore lost reserves.J.CROW’S®Lugol’s Iodine Solut...

Better Than Colonics. Period.
Oxygen Detoxification for both small and large intestine...

More
More
kiwimac Views: 4,023
Published: 14 years ago

This is a reply to # 833,044

Re: Jesus preached and taught in Aramaic

In fact it is most likely that Jesus spoke all three. Aramaic had become the language of the hebrews after the Babylonian exile, they could read Hebrew but few spoke it with any degree of fluency. It is most likely that when Jesus read the passages from Isaiah that he read the hebrew and translated into Aramaic as he spoke.

Further Galilee was very close to the Greek and latin speaking towns of the Decapolis. Indeed it is likely that Jesus worked there as a stone mason as it was during his late teens / early 20s  that Herod's son Philip was building a city in that region. Jesus probably could read Hebrew and speak Greek and Aramaic and perhaps even a smattering of Latin.

Note the following Aramaic phrases from the Gospels.:

41  Taking her by the hand he said to her, "Talitha cumi," which means, "Little girl, I say to you, arise." Mark 5:41 (ESV)

46 About three o'clock Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” which means, “My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?” Matt 27:46 (GW)

34 Then he looked up to heaven, sighed, and said to the man, “Ephphatha!” which means, “Be opened!”  Mark 7:34 (GW)

All of the examples given are in Aramaic. It seems likely, to me at least, that the Gospels of Mark  & Thomas were first written in Aramaic and later transliterated into Greek.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.org

2.109 sec, (2)