Thank you Moreless. :) I will give your suggestions a try. And no, we will never use anything toxic on the yard again. I have convinced my husband of this! It has been since 2002 that chemicals were used.
I was wondering however about the affect of the lawn chemicals on MY acid/alkaline balance. I mean, if I happen to pull one single weed, I feel toxic the next day - especially the hand that did the pulling. Am I reacting to the Nitrogen? Does that make me more acidic? We have tons of clover all over our yard, and from what I read, presence of clover is indicative of a LACK of nitrogen. My concerns aren't so much about wanting a weed-free green lawn (I would rather have a healthy lawn with some weeds), but rather my reaction to the yard, and wanting to be able to work in the yard without having a toxic reaction.