CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: What exactly is 'Strength Training'?

Views: 1,669
Published: 17 years ago

This is a reply to # 565,263

Re: What exactly is 'Strength Training'?

Technically, pilates is not strength training. It may serve to improve your muscle tone but I doubt after even extensive use of pilates you could lift much more weight. In very non-technical terms strength training involves exhausting the muscle very quickly by applying resistence. Strength training is progressive. Once you can handle a certain amount of weight, you increase the weight. As you body adapts, you increase the weight more. The largest increase in strength will occur when you work anaerobically. In weight training terms, strength training is very often low rep, high weight routines. Body building by contrast is mid-rep moderate weight. Toning is light weight, high rep. I would put Pilates in that category.

Having said all that, I think the jury is still out with regards to the health benefits specifically attributed to strength training as opposed to other forms of exercise. Certainly it has it place in sports improvement, mobility and performance. In my opinion, if you don't like the idea of strength training and you don't need it for any kind of mobility improvement, rehabilitation then do the exercise you can stick with. There's no benefit in taking up a training regimen that you hate to do.

Just my opinion.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2022  curezone.org

0.375 sec, (1)