Pumping Your Own Gas--What you must know for safety!
Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try
and make people aware of fires as a result of "static" at gas pumps. His
company has researched 150 cases of these fires. His results were very
1) Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.
2) Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle while
the nozzle was still pumping gas, when finished and they went back to pull
the nozzle out the fire started, as a result of static.
3) Most had on rubber-soled shoes.
4) Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished. This
is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.
5) Don't ever use Cell Phone s when pumping gas
6) It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when
connected with static charges.
7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was reentered and the nozzle was
touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models. Some resulting
in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.
8) Seventeen fires that occurred before, during or immediately after the gas
cap was removed and before fueling began.
Mr. Renkes stresses to NEVER get back into your vehicle while filling it with
gas. If you absolutely HAVE to get in your vehicle while the gas is pumping,
make sure you get out, close the door TOUCHING THE METAL, before you ever
pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be discharged
before you ever remove the nozzle.
As I mentioned earlier, The Petroleum Equipment Institute, along with several
other companies now, are really trying to make the public aware of this
danger. You can find out more information by going to [HYPERLINK@www.pei.org] .
Once here, click in the center of the screen where it says "Stop Static".
I ask you to please send this information to ALL your family and friends,
especially those who have kids in the car with them while pumping gas. If
this were to happen to them, they may not be able to get the children out in