MLA format paper is one of the different types of formatting. It is the most important form of formatting next to APA referencing. The MLA referencing provides specified guidelines in formatting manuscripts and other forms of article writing. It also provides writers with a system to refer their sources through parenthetical citation and Works Cited pages. All writings and researches agree to the need to document scholarly borrowings.
Writers who use the MLA formatting style will improve in their credibility by demonstrating accountability to their source material. The documentation may vary depending on the different needs of scholarly disciplines. MLA formatting is commonly used in humanities but especially in language and literature. MLA features parenthetical citations in the text keyed to an alphabetical list of works. The MLA format paper is being commonly used in schools, colleges, academic departments, etc and this formatting style is being followed in countries like India, China, Taiwan and other countries and it also being used throughout North America.
The general guidelines for MLA formatting are as follows:
• Write your content or take a printout in a standard 8.5 x 11- inch paper.
• Use double-spacing between lines and use in formal font- times new roman and the standard font size in MLA formatting is 12.
• The margins should be four sided with a space of 1 inch on all the sides. Indent the first line of a paragraph by half an inch from the left side.
• Leave only a single space after punctuation marks or periods.
• Highlight your content’s titles of longer works using the highlighting options like underline, italics, etc. you can use these options to emphasize your points also.
• If you have any endnotes, include them in a different page before your Cited page.
• Create a header to number your pages consequently in the top right hand corner of the page.
The formatting of the first page in the MLA formatting paper:
• Do not create a separate title page unless requested
• In the cover page or the first page of your term paper, write down your name and your tutor’s name in the upper left hand corner of the page along with the course you are doing and the date of submission. Use only double-spaced text.
• Write the title in the center of the page, do not underline or write your title within double quotes. Write the title in Title Case and not in caps lock.
• Use italics when you are referring to other works and their authors.
• Double space between the title and the first line of the content.
The above are some of the basic guidelines for making a MLA format paper.