CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Resources for Vekky (and anyone else interested in these subjects)

loquat1 Views: 340
Published: 4 years ago

This is a reply to # 2,390,861

Re: Resources for Vekky (and anyone else interested in these subjects)

Here's a glowing review of the unabridged edition that you most likely won't have seen. He doesn't mention the typos, so it's quite possible this problem has now been resolved. Whether you go for this or the shorter version depends largely on the level of committment you think your dad will want to devote to the subject. If he has the staying power, is in no great hurry, etc., I'd go for THKOH max.

By Lee in the UK on 13 August 2017
At last! A brilliant and challenging work that packs the kind of punch that so excites supporters of premillennial works. I'm talking the historical kind of premillennialism - i.e. Bonnar, Spurgeon, Ryle and the more dispensational MacArthur; not the Ladd kind of premillennialism.
Dean writes a narrative that is clear, reasoned from scripture; not stifled with heavy, grey text. This is a romantic though stunning defence of the amillennial view.
For me the seeking and searching for the definitive millennial answer - ie what does the Bible teach is the true End Time scenario - this book is the most comprehensive and detailed defence ever written. Dean Davis refuses to duck any awkward texts that potentially leads to a premillienial understanding.
What this book achieves is a defence so well reasoned it's almost impossible to refute.
After many years of studying this subject, the one area that premillennial works trump amillenial and postmillennial works is imagination. There is something exciting about the idea of a literal millennium and a literal interpretation of Old Testament temple passages. Why this is I am not certain but it is a fact. The idea that even after a literal 1000 reign on the new earth by the Lord Jesus Christ, some of the human race will still rebel seems satisfactory - as if this is the final "acceptance" by man that God has done His best and now: We get it God! Now we see we are sinners, you've given us the ultimate chance to repent.
Now I am not being sarcastic: it is one of the reasons I have always settled on a premillennial understanding. Also the writers of this view make it seem more exciting. And this is where Davis triumphs. He paints a beautiful picture of the one return of Christ, it's a colourful and powerful portrait of the end of the fallen world and beginning of the new world - Eden is restored only bettter - no more sin and not just two human beings but the whole of the redeemed from all the centuries together with the Lord forever! We don't need a millennnium of a final opportunity: we had that opportunity in an earthly paradise at The Beginning - if our first parents failed then that was proof enough that we all would.
Davis's angle allows for the saving of the believing in Christ Jewish nation - a literal earthly Israel. This is another master stroke by the author: in that many anti-amillennial premillennial folk reject the amillennial view because of a perceived misunderstanding that the nation of Israel means nothing anymore.
Another benefit to readers is the fair and respectful tone that the writer conveys to Christians who do not accept the amillennial understanding. Dean Davis wants you to know that he gets your view and does all he can - in a non-sarcastic and gentlemanly way - for you to get his.
This is a breath-taking work in scope yet is easy to read: it is so clearly written and saturated in scripture. There is no arrogance or ivory tower mentality and without a doubt this is a classic. Davis leaves no stone unturned, he has dug so deeply and thoroughly that his hard work has produced a rare gem. This books needs to be read - it is an absolute gift by a man who is scholarly, though not heavy and yet manages depth but never letting go of the author's pastoral heart. I cannot recommend it more highly.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.org

1.234 sec, (3)