CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Resources for Vekky (and anyone else interested in these subjects)

loquat1 Views: 370
Published: 4 years ago

This is a reply to # 2,390,774

Re: Resources for Vekky (and anyone else interested in these subjects)

Fair dos, but be warned:

I really wanted to give this book five stars, but withheld a star for two reasons. First, I have never read a book with so many glaring typos and errors [he obviously never read Keith Scott-Mumby's 'Cancer Research Secrets', which is absolutely dire]. There are misspelled words, missing articles, missing conjunctives, and misused words littered throughout the book. It is not possible to go three pages without encountering an error, and often there are multiple errors per page. The inside jacket says "The author of this book has waived a portion of the publisher's recommended professional editing and proofreading services." All I can say is ---WHY??? Is it the cost? The author really shot himself in the foot here. Spend the money and get the book cleaned up! My second issue with the book is all of the Calvinistic buzzwords (sovereign grace, irresistible grace, etc...) and nuance that pervades the text. It is an unnecessary distraction (and irritant to many who reject Calvin's theology) that could be jettisoned without affecting any of the eschatology or arguments. Yes, I get that the author is a die-hard Calvinist, but in a debate, why not stay on topic?

To which the author replied:

Dear Finance Prof,

Thanks so much for reviewing my book. I am grateful for the four stars, but grieved that so many errors appear to remain. You are not the first to raise this complaint. 

To answer your question, Yes, the cost for editing was prohibitive, in a book this size running into many thousands of dollars. But also, I have proof-read the book at least six times, trying with all my might to strain out the proverbial gnat. Alas, I now know the book so well, my mind gets ahead of my eye. 

To encourage you, I now have a trusted sister in the Lord who is combing the book, for the first time, for any and all errors. I hope she finds them all; if they are indeed as copious as you say, I will most certainly submit a clean ms to Redemption Press for a next edition.

Finally, I trust you did indeed buy the most recent edition (an older one does remain available on Amazon, which I am unable to remove). If you bought it in the Kindle version I will make you a deal. If you will send me a list of any errors you find, I will send you a complimentary copy of the new, improved print edition as soon as it is ready. If not, please pray for Susan, my editor friend, that the Lord gives her eyes to see!

My contact info is dean1@integrity.com

Thanks again for taking the time to review my book. I means a lot to me.

Sincerely in Christ,
Dean

Finally, you should also be aware that the author is in the process of writing an abridged version of the book, much like Cornelis Venema did with his excellent book on the subject (The Promise of the Future), though a publication date has yet to be announced.

I only mention this in case your dad prefers a shorter read. The full version runs to over 650pp, but there's little doubt about its standing as one of the best in its field.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.org

1.828 sec, (2)