CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Followup on Recovery Post from 18 months ago

saywhatwhat Views: 5,363
Published: 7 y

This is a reply to # 2,359,277

Re: Followup on Recovery Post from 18 months ago

Hi again!

I've been fielding dozens of private messages from people with questions, and from what I've gathered, here are things to consider:

1. Some people have tested positive for e. histolytica, but some people have also tested positive for giardia, a different parasitic infection that is also a protozoa. I would think it is key to have a full parasite screening to detect specific and/or multiple infections.

2. As it happens, there's a really good test for this! It's a DNA stool analysis, which looks at your poo for any fragments of DNA. It tests for 22 pathogenic infections at the same time, including parasitic protozoa. As far as I know, the test does *not* test for helminths, which are things like Tapeworms and flukes.

3. The test (as I know it) is the FilmArray GI Panel administered by BioFire (biofiredx.com). My doctor ordered this test from me so I didn't deal directly with the lab, so I have no idea if they deal directly with patients. My insurance cover the test, but out of pocket I believe it costs right around $650.

4. The treatment protocol for parasitic protozoa is very similar, but depending on the identity and degree of your infection, you may need stronger Antibiotic therapy.

5. Complications from parasites can include SIBO, post-infectious inflammation, and food allergies . These can all stay after treatment, and in some cases are permanent. From what I've read, it seems like symptoms of e. histolytica clear up extremely quickly with treatment, but giardia symptoms can linger for days to weeks to months.

Having said this, I think this is a pretty exhaustive account of my own personal recovery, plus that of other people that seemed to have similar diagnoses to me. In specific terms, if you'd like to pursue this possible line of diagnosis/treatment, here is what I would recommend:

1. Go see a gastroenterologist! Failing this, someone who specializes in tropical medicine, infections diseases, or travel medicine is likely familiar with parasites.

2. Explain your Propecia-related symptoms and indicate that you believe you have a parasitic infection. Ask them to order you the FilmArray GI Panel that tests for these 22 different pathogens.

3. Hope for the best!

I realize this isn't necessarily a golden answer for everyone suffering from Propecia side effects, but I truly hope it helps. I've also done a bit more reading on the relationship between DHT and gut pathogens, and it seems like DHT is a potent defender against intestinal parasites. So maybe Propecia side effects hit people who've already had a gut infection in their system? I can't give any answers, but I'm currently satisfied with that line of thinking.

In conclusion, I wish absolutely everyone a safe and speedy recovery assuming this is the underlying nature of your illness. If anyone would like to discuss particulars with me, please contact me through private messaging on this forum. I try to check it regularly, although the janky nature of this website can make that challenging at times.

Good luck and I'm rooting for you!

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.110 sec, (2)