CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: "Breathing" Parasites? eye worms

skyblid Views: 1,034
Published: 5 years ago

This is a reply to # 2,294,903

Re: "Breathing" Parasites? eye worms

The name "spaghetti worm" predates the reef aquarium hobby by several decades. I first heard the term in my first marine ecology class at Woods Hole in 1969, and I am sure it wasn’t coined then and there. In all cases, prior to recent usage in the reef hobby, this term refers to the worms in the family Terebellidae. The terebellids live in tubes in sediments, rocks, or debris, and do not normally leave the tubes. The only parts of the worm visible on the substrate surface are typically the white to slightly pinkish feeding tentacles elaborated from the head. The tentacles from larger worms are about the same size and dimensions as angel hair pasta, and give these animals their common name. The feeding tentacles extend some distance from the burrow and collect small food particles in a stream of mucus which is moved along by microscopic cilia found in a gutter on tentacle’s surface. Arising from the head region are also two to four pairs of bushy, bright red gills. These are not generally visible outside the tube, but when the animal is feeding with the tentacles extended, the gills are located just below the opening of the tube.
so it sounds like there is a bigger worm we cannot see and the spagetti like ones we do are the tentacles at feeding time?
here is the link
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/rs/index.php
I am going to read more maybe they will say how to kill it!

note;
Those with the feeding tentacles send them up to the surface where they roam over the surface in search of food.
>this kind of matches your description of what they are doing at night while you sleep
much more reasearch needed , coffee

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.org

1.047 sec, (1)