As chemicals are used for disinfection, by products are formed. When hypochlorous acid is used those by products are trihalomethanes, haloacetic acids, and bromate. When chlorine dioxide is used the by product is chlorite.
Chlorine dioxide is so volatile that it is doubtful that any of it actually gets into the blood stream, but chlorite is different. In studies it was observed that in rats the half life of chlorite was somewhere around 37 hours. The same studies also showed that it showed up in the blood and all the organs including the brain.
In light of these studies along with the various observations of those taking sodium chlorite internally, and adding the research done by the Turkish doctors on deep wound healing, also adding the work done on diabetic wound healing, and reviewing the research done with WF-10 and NP001 the general conclusion is that any benefit to the body internally comes from chlorite and not chlorine dioxide. In this case chlorine dioxide is considered a waste by product that simply uses up some of the available chlorite.
Topically things are totally different and when used that way the concentration of chlorine dioxide is critical.
With that background, let's look at CDS. Jim Humble sent some people out to try to help people with malaria using CDS. Since he doesn't trust Science he thought that using CDS would be much better because it is easier to tolerate larger amounts. When chlorine dioxide breaks down somewhere around 50 - 60% of it turns into chlorite. This means the people were getting 40 - 50% less chlorite. No wonder it didn't work...
People who use chlorous acid on a daily basis have spent a lot of effort determining an optimal activation time. Using a reasonable concentration of sodium chlorite and a correct concentration of acid they end up using a 10 minute activation time at room temperature. 10 minutes allows for adequate mixing of the chemicals while minimizes any off gassing during the chemical reaction.
The bottom line is that with the extended half life of chlorite in the body you can get to levels that are known to damage animals if you take larger amounts over a long period of time.