Free Dentist Alternative!
Professional Powder beats Fluoride!

Google Advertisement
Google Advertisement
Hveragerthi Views: 12,907
Published: 11 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,856,448

Re: niacinamide necessary with 5htp?

I've recently began taking 5htp as a natural way to try to raise my serotonin (suffering from premature ejaculation)

throughout my research online I came across

-----------------------------------------------------
"If you do not take 5-HTP with niacinamide you will lose most of the 5-HTP, meaning you will not have it form serotonin which is what you want. So go out and purchase a bottle of niacinamide, the NONFLUSHING KIND (the others can cause itching), and take one with each dose of 5-HTP.

5-HTP does work. The problem is that you can and probably will get withdrawal symptoms if you abruptly stop taking it. You need to taper.

The weight loss dose is 100mg x 3 a day. That’s excessive in my opinion. It’s also expensive. I would start on 50mg once a day midday and increase it to 50mg x 2. It will decrease your appetite and reduce stress.

5-HTP is not a junk med like most of the rest.

There is sort of a side effect with it though. You can and will experience serotonin toxicity if you take to much of it. More is not better. In addition, some of it is converted into melotonin. The issue with this is that melotonin is used to regulate sleep. You can throw your sleep cycle off.

So, don’t take the 100mg x 3 - it’s a 5-HTP manufacturers ploy. At most take 50mg x 3. Remember to ALWAYS take niacinamide. I believe it increases absorption in the range of 40-50 percent."

------------------------------------------

any truth to this?

As far as absorption, no I have never seen any evidence of this.  And 5-HTP needs to be taken on an empty stomach as where niacinamide needs to be taken with food.

Where niacinamide can play a role is by inhibiting the breakdown of serotonin.  But there is a catch.  Too much niacinamide can interfere with serotonin production by accepting methyl groups resulting in less methyl groups being available for serotonin production.  So there has to be a balance between the intake of 5-HTP and niacinamide, or an increase of methyl donors to prevent the inhibition of serotonin by excess niacinamide.

also I was told that the dosage to help with PE is 300mg in one dose? Is this too excessive?

For one dose, yes that is very excessive.  The maximum for a single dose I would recommend is 100mg, which can be done three times daily.  Keep in mind though that increasing serotonin will treat premature ejaculation, but it will also reduce the sex drive.  This is why selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) used to treat some forms of depression are notorious for killing the sex drive.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2022  curezone.org

0.547 sec, (2)