Mercury ruins the immune system. It's documented very well. It ruins the nervous system. That's also documented very well. It wrecks the endocrine system, affects the heart and the body's ability to detox. It's able to do this and affect the body in so many ways because it's an element. It takes the place of other minerals that activated necessary enzymes in the body and make up proteins and enzymes are everything to life. It takes place in the electron transport chain in the mitochondria and turns off energy production. Without a good immune system, your body is susceptibly to all kinds of infections and candida is no exception.
Not to mention the microbiology work of a Ph.D lady (I forgot her name, I was researching her just yesterday) that showed that mercury is also toxic to bacteria and when you have constant exposure from Amalgam residue going down to the GI tract, it kills your good flora and the kind of bacteria that adapt are those that are able to live with mercury exposure. It changes the flora content. Also causes inflammation of the GI tract.