CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Youngbuck, my experience has been...

Lisa Views: 6,368
Published: 18 years ago

This is a reply to # 16,449

Re: Youngbuck, my experience has been...

I know it's been a while since your post, so I'm not sure if you will see this. But I also was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at the start of puberty--I was 12. It was really hard to deal with at the time. I was a very thin and active child--full of energy. At the start of seventh grade, I suddenly gained about 20 pounds in less than a month. My mother was concerned since I had not changed my lifestyle or eating habits at all. She made an appointment with my doctor and explained the situation to him, making sure to emphasize that I was very sensitive about the new changes. Right when Acne and breasts were coming and hormones going crazy, this weight gain was an added stress I did not need. Well my doctor sat me down and told me that at this rate I was really headed for "fat city" and that I needed to quit eating candy bars and McDonald's. I was playing 3 sports at the time and being a child of the eighties and the Jane Fonda craze, I was already a health freak. I couldn't remember the last time I had eaten anything like that. So anyhow, we changed doctors, and my new MD ran tests and found the hypothyroidism. I was put on Synthroid at that point. In case you don't even read this, I'm not going to go into all the details from there at this point, but I will say that some major body image issues still lurk in the background. I did lose all the excess weight eventually, but it is really hard for me to not focus on weight and physical appearance when I am considering my own self worth. Going through the changes associated with hypothyroidism when I already had more changes than I knew how to handle was extremely difficult. Add to that a "professional" that took one look at me and then labeled me as bad did not help the situation. I've come a long way (I'm 24 now), but it is still hard for me to shake some of those thoughts sometimes. I would be interested to hear about some of your experiences; I also do not know anyone who was diagnosed with hypothyroidism during puberty. I hope this finds you well!

Lisa

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.org

0.953 sec, (1)