CureZone   Log On   Join
Psoriasis caused by nickel allergy cured by eliminating nickel
CurtisBarker Views: 16,425
Published: 14 years ago

Psoriasis caused by nickel allergy cured by eliminating nickel

I have had Psoriasis for 30+ years. I began to notice 3 years ago that, after playing guitar for several hours, my eyes would red up and itch. It got worse as the months went by and they soon began to swell and itch like poison ivy burns. It was lasting longer and longer up to two weeks to return to normal. I had a patch test and discovered have become extremely allergic to nickel after years of regular contact.

My doctor told me a slight nickel allergy can advance to extreme with more and more nickel contact.

I changed all frets, strings and other hardware from nickel to stainless steel on all my guitars.

I can now play a full show with no ill effects from nickel. As a side benefit about six months after the changes to my guitars my Psoriasis is now clear.

I found out there is allot of nickel in this world.

My office chair, belt buckle, snaps on jeans, some door handles, tools, fixtures, glasses, dirt, golf club shafts, key rings, jewelry, lots of musical instruments, and many many other things.

This substance should be outlawed.

If you have Psoriasis it may be a nickel/bronze allergy.

My psoriasis generally covered my elbows, knees, and torso and was never gone until now.

Age Event

@10.Play guitar sometimes
@15.Began cleaning golf clubs for my dad and his friends.

@18.Diagnosed with psoriasis

@19.Started playing guitar and golfing weekly
@45.Noticed fingers itch after a gig
@46.Noticed fingers itch and peal after a gig right wrist itch also

@48.Eyelids slight burn and itch during a gig
@50.Eyes swell and itch uncontrollably (discovered nickel allergy)
Changed guitar strings and hardware and can now play.
Avoid nickel (not a easy task) it's everywhere.

@51.psoriasis gone for the 1st time since age 18!

@53.Tell Somebody! Might Help Someone.

I still come in contact with nickel once in a while and my eyes will swell and itch for 2 weeks after the contact. It is difficult to avoid nickel.

I know several guitar players with psoriasis and have informed them of my experience.

I play guitar for live events and half the stuff on stage is nickel and I must avoid.

Some buildings have nickel in the air (from HVAC systems I guess) and within ten minutes my eyelids will begin to burn. I have to leave the building and wash my hands and face.

Guitar Center is one of these buildings. When I go there I must make a plan to get in and out fast.

I use D'Addario XLS and XL Prosteels and Ernie Ball Stainless Steel strings for electric.

They take some getting use to as far as eq-ing for tone.

They sound best on my fender twin, HRD, and Mesa mark III
simul class and not so good on my SS amps.

I use to use GHS Boomers nickel coated and those strings are pure poison to me now.
I use martin silk and steel for my acoustics. They always sound old and like they need to be changed. I had to paint the latches on my guitar cases. I had to change from switchcraft to neutrik ends.

Had to change frets to stainless steel. I had to change tuning keys on one of my guitars. I put a piece of electrical tape on my bridge where my right wrist rest while playing.

I had to switch to graphite shafts on all my golf clubs. I no longer shake hands with other guitar/bass players.

I now, never let anyone play my guitars or carry my equipment. I never touch the guitars, amps, cables, tuners, etc of others.

The guys in my band have seen me with my red swollen shut watering eyes and understand.

Hope this helps you!

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!


Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2023

0.328 sec, (2)