CureZone   Log On   Join
Image Embedded Fenugreek for hair growth and more

mo123 Views: 26,257
Published: 15 y

Fenugreek for hair growth and more

Hulbah (Fenugreek)
fenugreek-wwwconcealedjewelinccom-herbs.jpg Fenugreek promotes hair growth and makes it curly. It combats acne, dandruff, relieves coughing, dryness, asthma, hard breathing, increase sexual drive, the flow of menstruation and breast-milk. It treats high cholesterol, type II Diabetes, decreases pain and swelling, relieves flatulence, phlegm, piles and various accumulations in the intestines. It dissolves phlegm from the chest and helps against gastric ulcer and lung disease. Fenugreek relieves urine retention and works as a laxative. When placed on an erratic nail, it will heal it. Its oil helps against cracked skin due to extreme cold when mixed with wax.

Fenugreek, when cooked with water, it softens the throat, chest and stomach.
Mix Fenugreek with Ghee butter and Fanith to heal the intestines.
Drink 5 measures of Fenugreek to increase the flow of menstruation.
Wash your hair with 5 measures of cooked Fenugreek to combat dandruff or to achieve natural curls.
Grind the Fenugreek then, blend its flour with vinegar and natron. Use it as a bandage on the tumor of the spleen (it will dissolve it). When used on a bandage and placed on hard, cold tumors, it will help dissolve them.
Drink its water to subdue pain in the stomach as a result of accumulated gaseous materials. It will also clean the intestines.
For pain inside the vagina due to tumors, sit in water in which Fenugreek was cooked.
Eat Fenugreek cooked in honey, dates or figs on an empty stomach to dissolve phlegm accumulated in the chest, and stomach. It will also help against coughing that accompanies such ailments.
For Acne: Apply a paste of fresh Fenugreek leaves in water, keep it overnight and wash the face with warm water next morning.

Drug and Food Interactions:
Do not take Fenugreek without talking to your doctor first if you are taking: Blood thinning medicine (examples: warfarin (Coumadin(R)), clopidogrel (Plavix(R)), aspirin, enoxaparin (Lovenox(R)), dalteparin (Fragmin(R))) - Medicine for diabetes (examples: metformin (Glucophage(R)), glyburide (DiaBeta(R) Glynase(R)), glipizide (Glucotrol(R)), insulin)).

Warnings:
Before taking Fenugreek, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Do not take Fenugreek at the same time as other medications; separate administration by an hour or two.

Side Effects:
Stop taking your medicine right away and talk to your doctor if you have any of the following side effects (your medicine may be causing these symptoms which may mean you are allergic to it): breathing problems or tightness in your throat or chest pain, skin hives, rash, or itchy or swollen skin.

Diarrhea and gas are the most common side effects - Maple syrup smell in your sweat or urine - In infants exposed to Fenugreek before birth or after birth through breast milk of a mother using Fenugreek may notice a maple syrup odor in their urine.

Sources:
I combined excerpts from Healing with the Medicine of the Prophet Page 266 & PDR Health Online News
Haneefah

14 Responses to “Prophetic Medicine: Fenugreek for Hair Growth & Nail Care”

Umm Zubair Says:

June 13, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Assalamu Alaikum sister I was wondering what do you mean by “measure” in terms of using fenugreek for the hair, and should it be mixed with water or something? Also how long should I leave it on for. Btw I called the arabic school and I arranged to go in on sunday to figure out what level I am on. Thank you so much I have been looking for an arabic school for the past 5 years!
Desert Diaries Says:

December 29, 2008 at 3:08 am

Wa ‘alaikumus salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh. Jazaakillaahu khairan for your comment. Grind the Hulbah into powder then, mix it with water. Another method is to cook it in water then, wash your hair with its paste. Five measures equals 15 grams.

How long to leave it on? - There’s no reference, sorry. I guess you should use your own judgement and wash your hair as you normally would. Allaahu Aa’lam.

I hope you do well in school. Billaahit tawfeeq.

Haneefah
P. Lucy Says:

December 29, 2008 at 5:59 pm

Ok girlfriend! How did you come up with 5 measures equaling 15 grams? I searched all over the net trying to figure out how much a measure was for months and I got zip! Did you ask Jeeves? LOL!
Desert Diaries Says:

December 29, 2008 at 11:24 pm

Did I ask Jeeves? ha ha ha…sure did, but I didn’t get anything.

I then decided to go back to the original (’Arabic) source to see if the English translation was missing some vital info.

It directs the reader to use an equivalent of the weight of 5 daraahim (dirham pl.). So, I had to search for the weight of a dirham…it turns out that 1 pure Silver dirham equals 3 grams (other sources say 3.12 grams), so five daraahim roughly equals 15 grams.

Thanks for the comment…you cracked me up!
libres Says:

January 3, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Asalaamualykum,
Do you also wash your hair with fenugreek to make it grow? Or do you need to drink it?
Jazakillah Khair!
P. Lucy Says:

January 3, 2009 at 6:59 pm

You’re the coolest nerd I know! Thanks girlfriend.
kemi Says:

January 3, 2009 at 9:16 pm

What is fanith?

Kemi
Desert Diaries Says:

January 5, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Wa ‘alaikumus salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh Libres. Here’s some good info…

~ For an excellent hair conditioner, a centuries old tradition was to soak Fenugreek seeds in water overnight, then apply the paste to the hair, leave it on a while then, thoroughly shampoo it out.

~ For hair loss, Indians mixed coconut milk with a pinch of black pepper and Fenugreek powder.

~ For dandruff and falling hair, boil the seeds alone or with raw nelli and lime and wash hair.

~ For hair growth, lustre and health, Indian beautician, Dr. Smitha Yavagal suggests the application to scalp of coconut oil in which the seeds of fenugreek have been soaked under direct sunrays for seven days. This, she says, is known to prevent hair loss. She has another home remedy: Take one part Bengal Gram, one part Green Gram and half part Fenugreek seeds. Powder them coarsely. This mixture can be used to wash your hair. It does not remove the natural oil from the hair and thus prevents dryness of hair.

~ To encourage hair growth, make a paste using fenugreek powder and coconut milk. Rub briskly on scalp, cover with plastic cap, leave on 30 minutes. Wash with gentle shampoo.

~ Ancient recipe for Skin Polishing: Fenugreek Facial Scrub: 2 tablespoons of Fenugreek seeds, one tablespoon of plain, live yoghurt. Soak the seeds in the yoghurt for an hour then, blend coarsely into a paste. Gently rub this onto the face and neck using circular movements and wash off after 15 minutes.

~ Holistic_Online says that a wide range of uses were found for fenugreek in ancient times. Medicinally it was used for the treatment of wounds, abscesses, arthritis, bronchitis, and digestive problems. Traditional Chinese herbalists used it for kidney problems and conditions affecting the male reproductive tract. Fenugreek was - and remains - a food and a spice commonly eaten in many parts of the world.

~ Fenugreek is a restorative, is mucilaginous and emollient. It treats atherosclerosis, constipation, diabetes and high cholesterol. The typical range of intake is 5-30 grams with each meal or 15-90 grams all at once with one meal.

~ Use of more than 100 grams of seeds daily can cause intestinal upset and nausea. Otherwise, however, fenugreek is extremely safe.

Can one eat Fenugreek to Combat Hairloss?…

A Natural Remedy for Hair Loss
By Paula Clarke
07/05/07
Ezilon Info Base

Originally from Southeastern Europe and Western Asia, Fenugreek was discovered after a German painter used its seeds to treat his bronchitis. After several months, he noticed that besides clearing his chest, his hair had also begun to improve and even regrow in some places.

Fenugreek is a natural herb with extremely potent seeds, which have a medicinal effect to reduce balding, hair fall, and hair thinning. For hair fall and dandruff, the crushed or boiled seeds alone have been found to restore the hair shaft. The seeds contain hormone precursors that replenish hair growth.

Additionally, Fenugreek seeds are a good source of protein. Protein is highly important in rebuilding and strengthening the hair shaft. In fact, protein balanced diets are emphasized to reduce hair loss and stimulating hair growth. The amount of protein in fenugreek alone may explain its restorative ability on damaged or falling hair.

Doctors and herbalists have also indicated that Fenugreek contains a large amount of Lecithin, a natural emollient known to strengthen and moisturize hair. By being packed with such powerful nutrients, many natural herbalists, and even Western Asia beauticians, use Fenugreek in hair care products to promote growth, luster, health, and shine.

To create a hair growth tonic, boil the fenugreek seeds and allow them to soak in extra virgin coconut oil overnight. In the morning, sift the seeds out and apply the coconut oil mixture to your scalp. Massage the oil into your hair and scalp for 5-10 minutes. Do this consistently for 3 months to see results.

If you are not familiar or feel uncomfortable about using natural herbs yourself, as you should exercise extreme caution and safety, many companies are now opting to provide natural hair growth products that contain herbs, such as Fenugreek.
Islah W. Umar Says:

January 6, 2009 at 1:55 am

As Salaam alaikum

welcome back. I hoped you wouldn’t stay away!

Look forward to more of your tidbits of feminine findings here and there!

wasalaam

sister Islah
Desert Diaries Says:

January 6, 2009 at 11:09 am

Wa ‘alaikumus salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh. Jazaakillaahu khairan sister Islah. Alhamdulillaah I’m preparing to reopen with new products and tidbits. I’m excited (and exhausted…smiles). My business drives me crazy sometimes, but I love it and am working on finding solutions to kick start it in the right direction. I appreciate your kind words and support!

lol@ P. Lucy!

Kemi, I’m getting conflicting results for Fanith. When I have something solid I’ll post it up In Shaa Allaah.

Haneefah
umm kedar Says:

January 12, 2009 at 2:59 am

Assalaamu alaykum. What is nelli, Bengal Gram, Green Gram? i really want to try this pls.
Desert Diaries Says:

January 13, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Wa ‘alaikumus salaam Umm Kedar. I found this…..

http://www.Lankalibrary.com/rit/herbal_medicines.htm
states: Nelli is a small, green, sour fruit with a very high quantity of vitamin C. There is hardly any disease for which ‘Nelli’ is not used either singly or in combination with other herbs (in Sri Lanka).

‘Nelli’ is given to strengthen the retina and improves weak and defective vision. If dried ‘nelli’ is soaked overnight and the juice extracted and drunk each morning, it makes a good laxative. Leaves boiled and applied on skin eruptions is said to be beneficial. The ground leaves are said to cure eczema. Two tablespoons of ‘nelli’ mixed with a tablespoon of bees honey, taken regularly each morning helps reduce bleeding piles, while raw ‘nelli’, sour as it may be, improves complexion. Half a cup of ‘nelli’ juice twice a week helps keep bowel movements in order.

As for Fanith (pronounced al faaneedh), the ingredients are sketchy. I believe it’s a sweet…not sure yet..still looking for concrete info. The people aren’t in agreement on some forums I visited. Allaahu Aa’lam. If someone knows for sure please share.

Bengal Gram - Good Lord they are lentil beans LOL!

I found this info on an Indian grocery site: Chana dal, also known as Bengal gram, is the most widely grown dal in India. Its pale-yellow color has a sweet, nutty aroma. Chana dal has a very high nutritious value. It is praised by diabetics for its incredibly low index on the glycemic index. (The glycemic index measures the effect of foods on blood sugar levels.) Bengal gram is often stewed with vegetables, especially bitter gourds and squashes.

Green Gram (Source - “My Indomitable Thoughts”): Unlike other pulses, green gram is free of flatulence-causing agents. This makes it an acceptable food for convalescents and pleasant weaning food for babies. The protein is especially rich in the amino acid, lysine, but it is somewhat deficient in sulphur-containing amino acids. The seeds are rich in calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium, folate and other B Vitamins. They also contain appreciable amounts of Vitamin C.

Raw seeds are rich in trypsin-inhibitors that block the effects of protein digesting enzymes in the gut. Sprouted green gram has lower amounts of these inhibitors, but the best method to eliminate trypsin inhibitors is boiling. Cooking does not affect the protein profile of this seed.

Food Uses: Green gram’s use in creating dishes is widely prevalent all over India. It is eaither used whole or split into dal. Whole green gram is the most popular sprout worldwide. Green gram in its split form is used to make khichdi, dal, barfi, payasam (a sweet dish) and other sweets. Deep fried and salted moong dal (green gram) is a popular Indian snack. Processed green gram is a common soup base, and gram flour is a common ingredient in many fried snacks.

Medicinal Uses: Chinese medicine uses green gram as a remedy for oedema, fever, headache and generalised anxiety, and as a diuretic. It is also a folk remedy for arsenic poisoning and other mineral toxins.
delores Says:

January 14, 2009 at 2:21 am

I always did like lentil beans and now I can do my hair with ‘em. Look’n and cook’n good. wahahahaaa!
Jeddah Momma Says:

January 14, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Oh wow, beans! I think I’d rather eat them than put them in my hair though. Does it rinse well? Great info.

Karen

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.110 sec, (7)