CureZone   Log On   Join
California's Proposition 5: treatment instead of prison for non-violent drug offenders - vote YES!

happyhealthygal Views: 1,936
Published: 13 years ago

California's Proposition 5: treatment instead of prison for non-violent drug offenders - vote YES!

Any other Californians on the board? We've got an awful lot of propositions on the ballot this tuesday (even for California!). I've just been familiarizing myself with all of them.
Up until now, I hadn't heard much of Proposition 5 (neither side seems to be running commercials and I'm not really a very political person), but after having read the literature of both sides (and as much of the very long proposition itself that I could stomach), I think it would bring about one of the most important reforms of government that we've seen in a long time.
When I was a lawyer (many moons ago), I saw countless drug addicts stuck in the revolving door of the criminal justice system. They would get locked up for a few months, then go right back to their old habits. Locking up non-violent drug offenders is ridiculously expensive and helps nobody - not the drug users, not their families, not society.
Anyone who thinks treatment is a better solution than imprisonment, anyone who wants to save our broke and indebted state billions of dollars (treatment is cheaper than prison and, when it works, saves a lot of money that would go to imprisoning drug users or treating their drug-related health problems like Hepatitis C), anyone who believes that we have the right to decide what we put in our own bodies - we should all be supporting Prop 5.
For me, the war on drugs is not only ineffective, it is immoral. I strongly believe that Proposition 5, while not even close to perfect, is a step in the right direction.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.org

0.657 sec, (1)