CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: I am being admitted to the hospital

reba7970 Views: 4,825
Published: 14 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,140,804

Re: I am being admitted to the hospital

Here is my story...

Hi, my name is Rebecca. I am a 29 year old female who was in normal health. On March 14, 2008, I underwent surgery for a hysterectomy. Here is my story from the beginning.

In June 2002, I chose to use Mirena for birth control. I had this in for the total 5 years. During that time, everything seemed okay. Yes, I did have minor abdominal pains, occasional bleeding (after sex), headaches, etc. My ob seemed to think that it was normal side effects associated with the use of Mirena. At the 5 year mark, I had my Mirena removed and another one replace in August of 2007. Since that time, I had experienced the same side effects, except they seemed to be more frequent and more severe.

On February 29th, I was having intercourse with my boyfriend and experienced severe pelvic pain. Within 3 hours, the pain was so unbearable that I went to the emergency room. After running tests and doing an ultrasound, they found a 3 inch cyst on my right ovary. I was then scheduled to have a laprascopy (possible removal of ovary) done on March 4th. The laprascopy was performed. During the laprascopy, the surgeon found that the cyst had ruptured (luckily clotted). He then cleaned the area and decided to leave my ovary in. Unfortunately, he stated that I had severe scar tissue due from infection, and that he wanted to monitor me for a few months to see how I did, but would possibly have to perform a hysterectomy. The Mirena was left in position.

A week following my laprascopy, I was still experiencing severe pelvic pain. I went back into the doctor's office to be examined, since you should be pretty well healed up within a week from that type of surgery. He decided that I should have the hysterectomy done and as soon as possible. My hysterectomy (abdominal incision)was scheduled for March 14th. My surgery took longer than expected due to my uterus being in such poor condition. I had lost 1200 cc of blood, but luckily did not require a transfusion. After I came through from the anesthia, my doctor came to talk to me about the surgery.

He said that my uterus was a complete mess. I had a severe infection from the Mirena, and he blamed the Mirena for the hysterectomy. He stated that the scar tissue was from infection also caused by the Mirena. Now, I am not sure if this was PID for he never once mentioned this to me. I return in 3 weeks for a checkup, at which point I am going to find out more information from the doctor. I am also going to check into the possibility of a lawsuit if this was caused primarily from the Mirena.

I am curious to know if anyone else has had this same problem, or similar problem. If so could you please pass on any information you may have regarding it.

Also, to those of you considering an implant of Mirena, please rethink. Before, I would have told you to go ahead that it was a great form of birth control. But after my second Mirena, I would never wish it on anyone.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2022  curezone.org

8.703 sec, (2)