CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Ladylove, anyone, about the soup...

fledgling Views: 1,217
Published: 14 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,011,215

Re: Ladylove, anyone, about the soup...

You are a dear.

We have 3 good kitchen scales, still packed in moving boxes...somewhere in this smaller house than we had before.

On this side of the world, in our kitchens, we operate in volume measure...stubborn, I guess. We also have switched from imperial to metrics (in Canada). That's why our grocery stores have dwindled their number of weigh-scales in the produce departments...the sheer cost of replacing them.

There was a massive trick played on grocery store owners during the switch...cash registers, and integrated weigh-scales, went digital.

They could have simply produced sheets of the 'new' graduations to stick on over the old...but the manufacturers didn't. They wanted every store to buy new machines. I won't get into all the hardships of that scenario.

Also, imperial measure was never quite the same as U.S. measure.

Yet all cooks, all over the world, 'eyeball' their family favorite recipes, according to the family tastes...which differ from country to country.

We, in our family, are bringing in produce from the garden (not planted by us). Yesterday my husband found 'red' carrots. They are the same color inside as the usual carrots we see, but the skin is dark purple.

Daikon was not planted this year in our garden, so, though we can easily get the root in the stores, the greens are less readily available. We will substitute chards and anything else that looks likely.

And we will take our stuff to a friendly store for weighing, one of these days; or find our own scales. (One is a balance scale, the other two work on springs of some type.) ...The point being that we would want this soup every day for months and years.

Interestingly, by establishing a regular supply of these ingredients, and having the soup every day, we are going to save money. And, since one of us doesn't eat anything green, if he can help it...he will. (Grin.)

As a gift, I'd like to tell you about 2 foot long slender purple beans we found growing in this garden. (Light green and even white inside.) They are delicious, especially raw, having a slightly 'toasted' flavour. They grow well; their season is very long; and they keep beautifully.

This is the 1st of October, in Zone 10, and these beans are only now getting to the seed-saving stage in some of the pods. I have the feeling that they may have gone another month in the edible stage...though the head gardener cut them down. We are digging through the compost for seeds.

I don't know their name, but I intend to find out.

Another hint we have been developing over the past couple of years is the drying (dehydration) of 'winter' squashes for flour. We pick them when the skin is still tender, cut them into thin slices and short pieces (up to 1/4 inch thick and 1 or 2 inches long), dehydrate them for a couple of days or three, and run them through a blender to make 'flour'. This can then be used in milk or water to make soup. The last couple of years our experiments seemed to show that it didn't need much thickener, if any. Garlic and butter are good additions...and so would be rosemary, or any other herb that is handy. Talk about 'fast food'!

One smaller 'winter' squash that is very dry-tasting, keeps its tenderness of skin. We hope to dehydrate the lot for flour, and experiment in baking. One specialty store we ran across makes a blended 'flour' of several vegetables...peas, celery, and more.

Dh makes smashing zucchini and banana breads, using only stevia as a sweetener. The stevia loses its 'licorice' taste. He loves stewed plums with only stevia...and hopes to freeze packets of them.

Many thanks, Ladylove. I appreciate your efforts very much.

My best,

Fledgling

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  curezone.org

0.926 sec, (2)