The incident occurred at the al-Kweifiya prison on Saturday.
"There was a riot inside al-Kweifiya prison, as well as an attack from outside. More than 1,000 prisoners escaped. Special forces called in as reinforcements were given orders not to fire at the prisoners," said a security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
The official said most of the escapees were common law offenders, including several foreigners, but “some of them were detainees in cases linked to the former regime of Muammar Gaddafi”.
However, a security official at al-Kweifiya prison said that most of the escapees were facing serious charges.
Mohammed Hejazi, a government security official in Benghazi, said that government forces recaptured 18 of the escapees, while some returned on their own.
He added that three prisoners were injured in the jailbreak and were taken to hospital.
Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan confirmed the incident, saying, "Residents of the area carried out the attack because they don't want the prison near their homes."
He added that border posts had been put on alert and given a list of names to arrest the escapees.
Libyans rose up against Gaddafi’s four-decade rule in February 2011 and deposed him in August 2011. He was slain on October 20 of the same year.
Benghazi was the birthplace of the 2011 uprising. It is largely governed by militias in the absence of unified Libyan security and military forces.
The former rebels refuse to lay down their arms, despite efforts by the central government to impose law and order.
Benghazi has been the scene of numerous attacks and assassinations over the past year as the power struggles between militiamen have intensified.
The revelation would embarrass members of the then Labour government, which always insisted that Abdelbaset al-Megrahi’s release was not linked to commercial deals.
It’s an email obtained by The Sunday Telegraph based on an information request, which had been sent by the then British ambassador in Tripoli and detailed how a prisoner transfer agreement would be signed once Libya “fulfills its promise” to buy an air defence system.
The email, which contained a briefing on the UK’s relations with Colonel Muammar Gaddafi’s regime, was sent on June 8, 2008 by Sir Vincent Fean, the then UK ambassador, to Tony Blair’s private office, ahead of a visit soon after he stepped down as prime minister.
The briefing, which runs to 1,300 words, contained revealing details about how keen Britain was to do deals with Gaddafi.
The release of Megrahi in August 2009 caused a huge furore, with the government insisting he had been released on compassionate grounds because he was suffering from terminal cancer, and that the decision was taken solely by the Scottish government.
Megrahi had been convicted in 2001 of the murder of 270 people when PanAm flight 103 from London to New York blew up over Lockerbie in Scotland in 1988.
Libya had been putting pressure on the UK to release Megrahi and in May 2007, just before he left Downing Street, Tony Blair travelled to Sirte to meet Gaddafi and Al-Baghdadi Ali al-Mahmoudi, Libya’s then prime minister.
At that meeting, according to Sir Vincent’s email, Blair and Baghdadi agreed that Libya would buy the missile defence system from MBDA, a weapons manufacturer part-owned by BAE Systems. The pair also signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for a prisoner transfer agreement (PTA), which the Libyans believed would pave the way for Megrahi’s release.
Remember when al-Qaeda members were the bad guys? Obama is now pushing massive funding for Syrian rebels who have not only been linked to al-Qaeda, but are gruesomely beheading innocent Christians and using 14-year-old child soldiers.
And virtually no one seems to even be questioning the Obama administration’s support of these chaotic troops who kill innocent citizens using US-funded arms in a bid to throw Syria’s current system into insanity. What’s perhaps even worse is that Obama has been pushing to continue this funding in a battle with reasonable lawmakers in a move that highlights his continued support of Syrian rebels who massacre innocents in public beheading sessions (that are met with applause and cheers).
It’s even hidden in the mainstream news, yet the media pieces on the subject somehow fail to generate any social media sharing or view counts for the most part. Just look at the August 2012 Reuters admission that Obama secretly went ahead and enabled support for Syrian rebels while bypassing any form of checks or balances. Flash forward to June 2013 with the headline ‘Syrians behead Christians for helping military, as CIA ships in arms’ inThe Washington Times publication, and we’re still letting this happen.
ARMING THE CARNAGE ON RECORD
From the report in The Washington Times:
“A priest and another Christian were beheaded before a cheering crowd by Syrian insurgents who say they aided and abetted the enemy… The reported beheading of the two Christians comes about the same time America has started sending arms to rebel fighters, the Wall Street Journal revealed this week.”
In other words the supposedly ‘Christian’ (a laughable declaration) Obama not only allows for these rebels to kill all Christians who do not convert and pay excessive taxes to the rebel army, but is the driving force behind it. How truly Christian of him. In fact, let’s look at the options innocent Christians are given by the Syrian rebels who wield CIA-given weaponry as according to the missionaries who have been to the Christian communities in Syria:
1. Renounce their Christian faith and convert immediately to Islam (to potentially have your life spared after swearing to the Syrian rebels and Islam).
2. Pay an extremely heavy tax to the Syrian rebels to potentially save your life and be able to secretly continue being a Christian (unless they decided to behead you anyway).
3. Immediately choose death, likely via beheading in the center of town to scare off your friends and family from challenging the Syrian rebel army.
4. Flee for your life and hope the Syrian rebels don’t find you or kill your family. All of your belongings left behind now belong to the Syrian rebels.
As you can see, these are the truly ’humane’ options supported by the United States government. And they’re getting away with this thanks to the general public having no idea what’s going on. In two months, the funding officially runs out — at least for this fiscal year. Amazingly, however, the House and Senate Intelligence Committees both went ahead and approved the continued support of the Syrian rebels. Just like how our elected officialsrecently sided with the NSA in continuing the gargantuan funding that fuels the agency.
The media is doing a great job on covering a bogus debate (if they cover the subject at all) over whether or not they need more funding to take down Assad, and once again it’s up to independent news outlets to blast this information out.
If you ever had doubts as to the true nature of the sociopaths inside government and the lengths they will go to secure their agenda, you now have proof.
Originally appeared at Story Leak.
July 30, 2013
Heavily armed Taliban fighters freed some 300 inmates from a large prison in Pakistan in a massive midnight attack.
The facility in the city of Dera Ismail Khan, some 320 km west of Lahore, holds around 5,000 prisoners. Police said up to 40 gunmen wearing police uniforms launched a surprise attack on the prison on Monday night. The siege started with explosions, which cut power to the facility and breached its outer wall, said district police chief Sohail Khalid.
The attackers, armed with rocket launchers and machine guns, fought their way inside the compund. Other gunmen occupied a nearby house and hospital, taking residents hostage and firing at security forces responding to the incident. Smaller groups of attackers were scattered throughout the streets leading to the prison.
The fighting continued into the early hours of the morning as Pakistani police called for military reinforcements. Before backup security forces managed to arrive, dozens of prisoners escaped the facility.
No immediate casualty reports were available.
The Pakistani Taliban, which claimed responsibility for the attack, said around 300 of their fellow fighters were freed from the jail during the attack. It said some 100 people including seven suicide bombers took part in the raid.
A provincial security official told Reuters that provincial authorities were tipped off about the impending jailbreak two week ago. The warning signals came from phone intercepts and interrogations of captured Taliban fighters.
The overnight prison escape follows last week’s high profile attack on the headquarters of the Pakistani military intelligence service in the southern town of Sukkur.
Taliban militants conducted a successful attack on a prison in the northern town of Bannu last year, when 400 fighters were freed.
Other countries in the region are also facing jailbreaks orchestrated by local militant groups fighting to free their fellow combatants. More than 1,100 people escaped from Koyfiya prison in Libya’s Benghazi last week after a militant attack, while Iraq’s notorious Abu Ghraib saw over 500 convicts, including Al-Qaeda affiliates, break out last Monday following a major attack on the facility.