Happy Easter to you too... [smile icon]
I am sorry, but all of my syringes, measuring spoons, graduated cylinders, and measuring cups are all calibrated in milliliters. When I look up conversions I find that if I gave a measurement in ounces, I would have to specify if it was US ounces
or UK ounces. Tablespoons and teaspoons come in US, UK, and Metric sizes, so they are no better. When I look up ml, it is the same all over the world, even in the US, so there is no confusion.
This web site may help you with your conversions.
protocol involves using citric acid
to activate the sodium chlorite solution. This releases some of the chlorine dioxide as free chlorine dioxide, and leaves some left over as available chlorine dioxide. When the free chlorine dioxide gets used up, more is produced from the available chlorine dioxide.
This is a great way to treat meat and poultry carcasses. The initial free chlorine dioxide takes care of the microbial load that occurs during processing, and the available chlorine dioxide gradually gets released over a couple of weeks to keep any microbes from spoiling the meat while it is in transit and on the shelf. A lot of testing is done to determine how much is needed to keep everything under control, and the strength of the solutions used are adjusted as needed.
Unfortunately, this microbial load testing has not been done in humans, and we don't know how much to use.
Chlorine dioxide is a gas, even when it is in a liquid solution. It is also a respiratory irritant. In the studies with rats, nasal lesions were observed at higher concentrations. I would expect the sinus areas on humans to also be subject to lesions, so caution is needed. In addition, breathing chlorine dioxide gas can irritate your throat and lungs, and cause difficulties.
When you use an unactivated solution, it becomes activated when it encounters lower PH material. I believe sinus "snot" is slightly acidic, as are most infections. By balancing the strength of the unactivated solution, you can get to the point where you only release enough chlorine dioxide to deal with the infection on a very local level. This means that only as much chlorine dioxide as is needed is released, and the probability of lesions is greatly reduced. If there are no infection sites, no chlorine dioxide is produced.
This is the same process that is involved with the mouthwash. The mouthwash formula is much stronger, because tests were done to determine how much is needed, and to make sure that at the level needed, no damage was being done. The sinus solution is what we have found to be effective at this point. Since there are no formal studies on this, it is simply my "best guess..."