Today's Healthy Recipe: Mediterranean Flounder
Forum: Ask Tony Isaacs
- Today's Healthy Recipe: Mediterranean Flounder
Ask Tony Isaacs
Enjoy the waning summer sun with a light fish that’s both tasty and easy to make. Beautiful red pepper, crunchy pine nuts and Italian breadcrumbs complement high-protein flounder, adding soft flavor and texture to this simple fish. A good source of vitamins B6 and B12, phosphorous and selenium, this is a great recipe for cancer prevention and overall good health. The healthiest flounder is U.S. Pacific Wild Caught Flounder.
Flounder with Peppers and Toasted Pine Nuts
2 Tbsp. pine nuts
1 lb. flounder fillets
1/4 tsp. each sea salt and pepper
2 Tbsp. Italian style bread crumbs
2 tsp. unsalted butter
2 tsp. olive oil
1 shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 red bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
(As always, for the very healthiest versions of any recipe choose organic content as much as possible.)
1. Toast pine nuts by placing them in a hot skillet and stirring frequently over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Be careful not to let them burn. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Rinse fish and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. Dust with breadcrumbs.
3. In a large skillet, melt butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add fish and let cook for at least 4 minutes until golden on one side. Flip over and cook other side for about 3 minutes until fish is cooked through.
4. Remove fish from pan and set aside.
5. Add shallots, garlic, and pepper strips to hot pan and sauté until fragrant and slightly wilted, about 2 minutes.
6. Add vinegar and stock. Increase heat to high and boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 2-3 minutes. Pour pepper mixture over the fish.
7. Top with pine nuts and fresh basil. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 190 calories, 9 g total fat ( 2 g saturated fat), 6 g carbohydrate, 22 g protein, 1 g dietary fiber, 380 mg sodium.
To return to our list of Healthy Recipes, click HERE.
Alert Webmaster & Moderators|
Attributes associated with this message:
LuellaMay will be notified if you reply to this message!
You can PM LuellaMay email LuellaMay
|DISCLAIMER Information available on this page and on CureZone is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for the advice provided by a healthcare professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. You should not use the information on CureZone for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease, or prescribing any medication or other treatment. Answers, comments and opinions provided on CureZone are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. CureZone does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in messages, comments or articles on CureZone. Your use of this website indicates your agreement to these terms and those published here. Read more ...||