New Jersey state law mandated in 1990 that all bathroom exhaust fans exit out of the house through a roof termination cap equipped with a flapper damper. Homes built prior to 1990 with fans that exhaust into the attic, however, were grandfathered and their owners are not forced to make the necessary repairs.
The state strongly recommended that all condo, townhome and apart ment associations quickly retrofit their outdated systems. Many refused.
Certified home inspectors or builders can tell us about the horrible toxic mold and wood rot in the roof framing and roof sheath ing that forms when humid bath room exhaust is piped into the attic. Heating and cooling ducts recirculate the toxic mold and fungi into the home itself, consti tuting a major health threat to children and the elderly. It also is not a "green" process, as it becomes harder to heat/cool one's home.
The state Legislature needs to mandate that all associations make the changes immediately. Homeowners should not underestimate the serious issues that water vapor can cause, and they should have the repairs done immediately, as well.