| || || |
• Go Back
Cooked tomatoes 'better for you than raw'
Cooked tomatoes 'better for you than raw'
Scientists say cooked tomatoes are much better for you than raw ones.
They say sauces and stews made from the fruit fight heart disease and increase its effectiveness against cancers.
The research dispels the popular notion that processed fruits and vegetables have lower nutritional value than fresh produce.
Scientists in New York say the heat of cooking makes the tomatoes' healthy compounds easier to absorb.
Experts at Cornell University also found cooking reduces the level of vitamin C.
But they say this loss is more than outweighed by the benefits.
Dr Rui Hai Liu and colleagues heated tomato samples to 88 degrees Celsius for two minutes, 15 minutes and 30 minutes.
Levels of healthy lycopenes, which give tomatoes their red colour, increased in each case as did antioxidant levels.
Trans-lycopene rose by 54%, 171% and 164% during the three treatments. Cis-lycopene levels rose by 6%, 17% and 35% and antioxidants increased by 28%, 34% and 62%.
Story filed: 10:59 Monday 22nd April 2002
- Liver Flush - Quackery or Valuable Remedy Apr 18
- Exercise reduces cancer risk Oct 22
- Sauerkraut packed with cancer-fighting compounds Oct 22
- The Breast Cancer Awareness Month Story Oct 03
- New concerns over breast screening Sep 25
- Are we overlooking the obvious in cancer prevention? Sep 15
- HOW TO LOWER YOUR CHOLESTEROL Aug 30
- When Healing Becomes a Crime Jul 29
- Hospitalization Can Traumatize a Child Jun 15
- My husband's full recovery from lung tumor and massive heart attack without drugs/chemo/surgery Jun 07
- How I achieved optimum health after a lifetime of suffering Jun 07
- This is what you will bring into your life May 29
- Most Women Satisfied With Having Their Healthy Breasts Removed May 28
- Insulin and Estrogen linked to Breast Cancer May 28
- Hormone Replacement Casually Related to Breast Cancer May 28
- Pesticides Increase Breast Cancer Risk May 28
- Healthy Women Having Their Breasts Removed May 28
- Unnecessary Mastectomies May 28
- Broccoli sprouts kill helicobacter pylori May 28
- Pesticides and the Immune System: The Public Health Risks May 23
- Experiments Strengthen Link Between Fish Oil, Mental Problems May 21
- An interview with Sue Best whose son Billy is over 7 years cancer free May 21
- Raw Eating - A book by A.T. Hovannessian (Aterhov) May 21
- Do Killer Microbes Cause Breast Cancer? May 15
- Fluoride and Aluminum - toxic combination of fluoroaluminum complex May 15
- The Nocebo Effect: Placebo's Evil Twin May 15
- HYPERTHERMIA - The "COLD SHEET" Treatment May 05
- Ailments & Herbal remedies - Dr. Richard Schulze May 04
- Incurables Program - Dr. Richard Schulze May 04
- Herbal Formulas - Dr. Richard Schulze May 04
- Patient Handbook - Dr. Richard Schulze May 04
- Black Raspberries Thwart Colon Cancer May 03
- Excitotoxins - MSG and Aspartame May 03
- Mercury fillings are affecting dentists May 01
- Ulcer surgery linked to risk of pancreatic cancer Apr 30
- British group says patients can refuse treatment Apr 30
- Minnesota - the first US State to offer Freedom of Choice Apr 30
- The Signs of Inner Peace Apr 30
- Patients Turn to Nutrition to Help in War on Cancer Apr 30
- WHO announces urgent meeting on new food cancer scare Apr 29
- Hudfletter forskerne som slo kreftalarm Apr 27
- A Simple Guide To Herbs Apr 26
- Akrylamid-listen Apr 26
- Kreftalarm etter giftfunn i mat Apr 26
- Cooked tomatoes 'better for you than raw' Apr 26
- Cancer expert exposes sunbed 'danger' Apr 26
- Understanding the Healing Crisis Apr 25
- Cut Bowel Cancer Risk by Eating Less, Better: Study Apr 25
- UPDATE 3-Crisps, french fries, bread may cause cancer-study Apr 25
- Swedish Study of Food and Cancer Rings Alarm Bells Apr 24
- Cancer Risk Found in French Fries, Bread Apr 24
- First 20 Years in Life Key to Cancer Risk Apr 24
- Make-Up Holds Hidden Danger of Cancer Apr 24
- Beans and Peas Can Cut Heart Disease Risk Dec 15
Back To Top
Donate to CureZone
- Liver Flush FAQ
- Link Exchange
- Add URL
- How To Exchange Links?
- About Global Directory
Terms of Service
- Spam Policy
- Guidelines & Rules
- Forum Trolls
- Fair use notice
Staff's pages: Owen
CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with www.netatlantic.com
Copyright 1996 - 2014 curezone.org
fetched in 0.03 sec
at 12/11/2013 4:25:48 PM, requested by 184.108.40.206, referred by http://curezone.org/art/read.asp?ID=15&db=13&C0=74 , requested 1 pages in this session, y=3